1. RanaBanana

RanaBanana New Member

Celtic Myth

Discussion in 'Research' started by RanaBanana, Jan 26, 2011.

Hey,

I'm in the process of researching Celtic folklore for my novel, I know I want to base my characters and setting in a modern day North-America but with a mythological Irish/Celtic influence...I know this is super random, however, I wanted to ask if any of you had any suggestions as to what part of Celtic lore I should incorporate, example: fairies, deities, etc. Or should I try and create my own race entirely. I really want to avoid a boring repeat of the common representations of these mythical creatures and beings, but I am at a crossroad and don't quite know where to begin.

Please Help!

Thanks,

Ren

2. Elgaisma

Elgaisma Contributor Contributor

could start with the fact that fairy folk are not usually good interactions with humans are never postive that is a more traditional representation.

3. PapaSmurfberry

PapaSmurfberry Active Member

ahhhh this site has an old school midi running in and infinite loop in the background but has the info you want lol what do you do?

http://www.angelfire.com/wizard/celticdeities/

worth a look

4. PapaSmurfberry

PapaSmurfberry Active Member

P.S. If you scroll to the bottom of the page you can pause the music lol

5. FrankABlissett

FrankABlissett Active Member

Ren,

One of the major streams of influence in American song and story is celtic/british folklore. Listen to any traditional "mountain"/old-timey folk song from the Appalachia region. Many are versions of Scottish border-ballads, with their daring-do and murders and love triangles.

A large number of tales of heroes, fairies and such were also brought over, and eventually given a less supernatural/more realistic tone.

Or, sometimes it went the other way. From Wikipedia's entry on "Scotch-Irish American":
    For your story, I would ask - what else came over with those stories? Maybe the stories give the supernatural their power? Maybe not, but perhaps the million or so immigrants to come from that region in the 1700s included some fairy-folk.

Rick Riordan had his Olympians follow power to New York City and San Francisco. You could look at it from a different angle and have Celtic mythology follow the common people to (and across?) North America.

Good luck,
    Frank