1. Nervous1st

Nervous1st New Member

Word of the week

Discussion in 'Support & Feedback' started by Nervous1st, Jul 26, 2010.

I was just wondering if anyone was interested in doing a word of the week or something similar. I was noting some words from the novel I'm currently reading that I hadn't come across before. Whilst I looked the words up to get their meaning, I'm still unsure about how to use them correctly.

I wanted to post them in the SPAG thread to ask others but then I thought this could be something we do on a regular base - Where we could all learn something knew each week or so.

I'm not trying to use fancy, unnecessary words in my writing, but I would like to expand my vocab appropriately and I thought here would be a good place to start.

2. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

We've tried this a couple times. I ran a Word of the Day for a while, and a while later someone else did too.

It is not easy to maintain such a feature.

You can't just tap into someone else's WotD feed for copyright reasons, and for the same reason you have to clearly document the source of your definitions every single day.

The original WotD thread seems to have vanished from the site, or I would point it out.

3. Nervous1st

Nervous1st New Member

No worries, I understand. It was worth a try.

Maybe i'll just post the words I'm having trouble with when I need to.

Thanks anyway.

4. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

cog... i'd be happy to run a wotw in an appropriate stickied section, if you want... i'm a lifelong word-maniac so it would be fun for me and i'd add etymology info and some serious to humorous examples of usage, if that would be of interest... just let me know one way or t'other...

hugs, m

5. Nervous1st

Nervous1st New Member

I would love that!

6. FoxyMomma

FoxyMomma New Member

That sounds like it would be a really neat thread. Everytime I find myself using "big words" which may confuse others, I point out that the word was one my momma paid for and I must show my edumacashion once in awhile and use those "paid for words". Ahhhh.....higher education....how I love thee! (I say this as I wait impatiently for the fall semester to start....I'm taking Anatomy and Physiology this term and I'm scared ****less!)

7. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor