1. XenaLin

XenaLin New Member

Currently Reading::
    So many things that I never seem to finish ..

Help?

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by XenaLin, Jun 1, 2009.

Hi,

I've not posted very much on here and for that I'm sorry.
    I need help however with coming up with storylines and plots.

Anyone has any advice when it comes to this? Or a good site that can help out?
    I've tried the whole 'get an idea by writing down 10 things you want' kind of stuff.
    I suffer from a major writers block that has been going on for far too long. I can't even put it down on paper or 'paper'.

2. zorell

zorell New Member

Explore the various word games on the site, they might help some. I am unsure of what else to tell you because I don't know your thought process.

3. JGraham

JGraham New Member

Id say just do what i do. If i am having writers block or whatever you want to call it i write in my journal, which i do everyday anyways. But my journal is kept as a fictitious character, and i write it differently everyday. There is rarely a day where the character is the same. I have gotten many ideas this way and it is very helpful.

4. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

google for 'writing prompts'... if that can't kick-start your brain and fingers, then you may want to examine why you think you want to be a writer...

5. zorell

zorell New Member

I just found something that could help you. It's not a writing site, but it has a lot of "inspiration." www.snopes.com definitely hs some interesting information that could stir creative juices.

6. XenaLin

XenaLin New Member

Thanks guys :) Keep them coming if you have them.

7. arron89

arron89 Banned

I think it was Kurt Vonnegut (sp?) who said something like the most important thing when you start writing a story is to have a character who wants something. Then the rest of the novel will fall into place. It may sound a little overly simple, but it really is an incredibly useful way to look at fiction and develop new ideas. Even if you begin with something as mundane as your MC wanting to find a girlfriend or get a new car, you now have two points to connect via a storyline and you can embelish as much as you like from there. And then, even if that story is rubbish, at least you're writing, and you'll find that new ideas spring from old ones, you'll think of new and different ways to solve problems, etc, etc, etc.
    The only other thing I can think of, and I've only done this once and you can obviously never publish it or anything, is take a story/character/scene from another author and rewrite it, then start thinking about how you could solve the problems of the story differently, what changes would make it better, how you could make it seem more X...

8. XenaLin

XenaLin New Member

That sounds good arron :) thank you for that. It makes alot of sense.