1. Kratos

Kratos New Member

Watchmen

Discussion in 'Discussion of Published Works' started by Kratos, Aug 28, 2008.

I've heard quite a lot about the comic book the Watchmen since there's a movie coming out soon. I've heard that its the "greatest comic book" and stuff along those lines, so I ordered it from one of those book clubs. I know it has a lot of fans, and I just wanted to know about it. Anybody have any comments?

2. Shadow Dragon

Shadow Dragon Contributor Contributor

Watchmen is one of the all time greats in comic history. Its characters are actually extremely realistic and its ending is one of a kind (which I really hope they don't screw with in the movie). I think you'll like it.

3. Islander

Islander Contributor Contributor

It was the first popular American comic book that earned critical acclaim in "traditional" media. It became kind of a water mark for American comics.

Not that Alan Moore was first with writing "serious" comics, far from it, he was just the first who managed to be both widely read and taken seriously by the mainstream.

The main plot is fairly easy to follow, but under the surface it's very complicated and laden with sub-plots, symbols and symmetry.

EDIT:
    It's interesting to note that the writer's, Alan Moore's, name is omitted from the movie's credits. Moore had a fall-out with DC Comics a long time ago because he felt they cheated him out of the rights to Watchmen. When "V For Vendetta" was made into a movie, he refused to take part of the marketing efforts.

But a representative still mentioned Moore's name in a public statement and cited him as having said he was pleased with the movie. This made Moore so upset he demanded his name to be removed completely. And that also goes for Watchmen.

If you look at the credits, it'll say it's adapted from the "graphic novel illustrated by Dave Gibbons", but not a word about the writer.

4. Crazy Ivan

Crazy Ivan New Member

Watchmen was one of the coolest things I had ever read at the time. Also the most disturbing. There are times where it gets down into you and makes you think, and it's a highly literary comic book- lots more reading than you'd expect from, you know, a comic book. It is one of the few things I've ever found that can actually use the term 'Graphic Novel' without looking kind of silly.

5. Night.Runner

Night.Runner New Member

I too saw the trailer for Watchmen and ordered the book; looks great!

6. inkslinger

inkslinger Active Member

I've been meaning to read the Watchmen comics for ages, but I have never gotten around to it. I will most likely be seeing the movie, and so I'm definitely going to make it a priority on my reading list. I've read a lot of background info on it, so I already have a vague idea of its plots and characters.

7. Scattercat

Scattercat Active Member

Watchmen is a book that definitely rewards close reading, as well as a second examination. Moore's style tends to pack things absolutely full of tiny little tidbits, hidden references, and (some might say overly) complex subplots.

The basic gist of the book remains an intriguing ethical dilemma. I think the part that most recommends it to me is that I and my friend, who have almost polar opposite viewpoints on most things ethical and political, still both find the book fascinating to discuss. (Though our favorite characters are very, very different.)

8. Kratos

Kratos New Member

Just came in now. Going to read it. :cool:

9. Kratos

Kratos New Member

Sorry for the double post, but I just finished it.

Wow.

That's the only word I can use to describe it. Now I'm excited for the movie!

10. Scattercat

Scattercat Active Member

Let's hope they don't muck it up too badly!

*fingers crossed*

(They didn't completely fail with V for Vendetta, after all. I actually liked the movie better in several ways. It's not without precedent!)

11. Scarecrow28

Scarecrow28 New Member

I'm going to either order the comic book or try to find it at the local library.

12. Kratos

Kratos New Member

Order it.

When I tried to get it from the library, I was 22nd in line. So I bought it.