1. Garball

Garball Banned Contributor

Books to movies 2014

Discussion in 'Discussion of Published Works' started by Garball, Mar 26, 2014.

2. Thomas Kitchen

Thomas Kitchen Proofreader in the Making Contributor

The movie is never like the book, so it should be okay. ;)

3. Garball

Garball Banned Contributor

Did you read it?

4. GingerCoffee

GingerCoffee Web Surfer Girl Contributor

Deviant fails as a book and a movie.

5. Thomas Kitchen

I haven't even heard of it. But if a movie has been made about it, it usually makes me want to read it (I love movies and books almost equally, but books take the cheese in the end). I might have a look, but to be honest I have truckloads to read at the moment anyway! [​IMG]

6. thirdwind

thirdwind Member Contest Administrator Reviewer Contributor

The only one I'd consider watching is The Giver because I loved that book when I first read it. I hope the movie is as good.

7. Lea`Brooks

Lea`Brooks Contributor Contributor

I tried to read Vampire Academy, but I just couldn't get through it.. I can't imagine I'd enjoy the movie any more than the book, but I'm sure it'll be the next Twilight.

I'm just glad I read the Percy Jackson books before the movies were announced. Best books ever. Horrible movie renditions.

8. sunsplash

sunsplash Bona fide beach bum

Between the Magic City & the Conch Republic
    Another Jennifer Lawrence/Bradley Cooper mash-up? I swear I'm the only one that doesn't find the appeal of them. They're both okay, good even, but I don't get the hype!

The only book on that list that I've read is The Giver and it's one of my faves...makes me nervous when they translate my favorite books to the screen because I almost always end up disappointed. The only movie that lived up to its book for me was A Time to Kill.

9. GingerCoffee

GingerCoffee Web Surfer Girl Contributor

I know the feeling. I've got to squeeze Gravity's Rainbow in somewhere and I'm totally backed up with library books already.

Andrae Smith likes this.
  10. chicagoliz

chicagoliz Contributor Contributor

Sad to hear you did not enjoy Unbroken, @Garball. I've heard a lot of good things about it, and my book club has been dying to read it, but has been waiting for it to come out in paperback, but since the hardback has been selling so well, the publisher has been in no rush to do so. I've had it sitting in my TBR pile for over a year.

I hope both of the Gillian Flynn books are decent movies, but I'm beyond irked that they decided to change the ending to Gone Girl, because I think the ending in the book is perfect and brilliant.

I loved This is Where I Leave You, and I love Jason Bateman, but he doesn't seem Jewish enough to play that character, so I'm having a kind of tough time picturing it, and just by casting him, the movie will certainly have a different feel from that alone. The movie could still be good -- I'll have to wait and see.

I'm ashamed to admit that I've never actually read a Nick Hornby book, although again, I have several in my TBR pile, and they've been highly recommended to me. But, I have seen movies based on his books (the two that come to mind are High Fidelity and About a Boy). I don't know if those are the only two, but I really liked those movies, particularly About a Boy.

11. EdFromNY

EdFromNY Hope to improve with age Supporter Contributor

I read both High Fidelity and Fever Pitch. Never had the chance to see the former as a film. I refused to see Fever Pitch once I learned that they had changed the premise from a life story that included supporting Arsenal to a love story that included rooting for the Red Sox.

12. chicagoliz

chicagoliz Contributor Contributor

I hadn't even realized Fever Pitch was a Hornby book. I see that there was a movie made back in 97 that was adapted by Hornby himself. Perhaps that British movie might be interesting for you, @EdFromNY ?

I generally don't enjoy seeing movies that have been based on books I've read, because I always end up angry and disappointed. I thought the Girl with the Dragon Tattoo movies from Sweden were pretty good, though, and even the Hollywood version was decent. Although I wondered whether someone who had not read the book would be able to follow the story. The story is quite complex, so I could understand why Hollywood needed to change it some, but the Swedes didn't feel a need to change it, and made a movie that was true to the book, and I felt would be easy to follow even for someone unfamiliar with the book.

I wish there were more movies based on original screenplays -- stories that were written and always intended to be conveyed via the big screen. I feel like basing them off a book is a lazy way to go, and given how long movies are, there are always lots of things that have to be cut in going from book to movie.

13. Thomas Kitchen

It's all about the green stuff. I'm sure there are many writers out there producing work intended for film, but the companies end up hiring a writer that wants to base something off a book - because it's popular and will attract the crowds. Sad but true.

I'm just lamenting the fact that Disney has said they're not going to make drawn movies anymore. :( I hope they change their mind soon.

14. Michael Collins

Michael Collins Senior Member

Haven't read or even heard of any of these books. The only one that piqued my interest was wild by Cheryl Strayed, and maybe The Monuments Men.

15. EdFromNY

EdFromNY Hope to improve with age Supporter Contributor

It might be, but as I'm thinking back on it, the book was more about using the events in following Arsenal as signposts for what was happening in his life. I really don't see it adapting well to the screen.

Then there was Asimov's I, Robot, the film of which resembled the book only insofar as the title and the three laws were concerned. It was another book that I suspected wouldn't translate well to the screen, and in that case I was glad they didn't try. The film is enjoyable, but on a very different level than the book (the night my wife and I went to see it, I couldn't understand why the theater was jammed with 13 and 14 year old girls. Then I saw the first scene with Will Smith and said, "Oh.")