1. DanielRoseington

DanielRoseington Member

Incorporating fantasy creatures with real animals

Discussion in 'Setting Development' started by DanielRoseington, Mar 29, 2014.

Hi all,

I'm working on developing a fantasy project. Currently, I'm working on setting structure. I was wanting to create some fictional animals in this setting to help signal to the reader that it is a different world. However, I also wanted to include some real-world animals, like horses.

Basically, I'm wondering if this comes across as contradictory? And, if it does, if there are other ways I can accomplish my aim?

2. GingerCoffee

GingerCoffee Web Surfer Girl Contributor

I see no problem. There's the usual caveat, it depends on the writing. And the second one is, does it matter to the story?

3. CMastah

CMastah Active Member

Yep, you'll certainly find plenty of fictional worlds that include fictional creatures in addition to the normal plethora (if I remember correctly, codex alera had some unique creatures but it had animals like horses too).

4. Glen Snow

Glen Snow New Member

Fictional and factual animals go hand and hand in many books. Just introduce them naturally don't point out to the reader that these creature are fictional they'll know the critters aren't real. If you are making these animals up just to signal the reader that this world isn't Earth, I say just tell the reader it isn't Earth.

5. Michael Collins

Michael Collins Senior Member

Most fantasy feature humans as a race so I don't see why horses would be a problem.

6. Smoke Z

Smoke Z Active Member

Anne McCaffrey was in the habit of having human colonists bring horses with them. I think it was Decision at Doona where they were trying to use horses to control a herd of native fauna.

7. Snapshot084

Snapshot084 New Member

Chiming in to throw my lot in with the group, thus far. I think horses are sort of a fantasy staple, in any case; any fictional creatures you throw in can be explained with a quick line of dialogue warning your audience surrogate about their dangers. "Smerps! Don't let them touch you, or you'll never wake up again." And then we've established that this is not the world we're used to. (I wouldn't use smerps, though.)

8. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

have you never read a story set in the 'real' world containing unicorns, or dragons, or any other fantastic critters?

9. Katzen

Katzen New Member

you want to incorporate fictional creatures side by side with real creatures think about the ramifications of said creature in the world, and include basic biology. Unless this is high fantasy, but then you need to have a world based on your own rules.

If your lazy just use Tvtropes as a guide.

Now I want to write science fiction, but let me think about fantasy. There are a few urban fantasy books out there and the sub-genre is small but lively. Now what if you made a slice of life story that featured many fantasy creatures but instead of being magical or even fantastical they took on a domestic feel? I'm thinking small dragons that act like crows, spiders in place of dogs for killing bugs, and harpies that annoy you at six in the morning with screeches.