1. Eunoia

Eunoia Contributor Contributor

Episodic Novels

Discussion in 'Discussion of Published Works' started by Eunoia, Mar 3, 2011.

I don't think this has been discussed before so...

I was considering novels, and writing novels, and short stories, and I half-heartedly thought about writing an episodic novel. I loved The Martian Chronicles so writing something in the same style, although I doubt sci-fi, would be quite interesting. Anyway, I wondered if you had any recommendations of novels that were written like this?

2. w176

w176 Contributor Contributor

"The last wish" by Andrzej Sapkowski, one of the Witcher books. Falls somewhere between episodic book and short story collection, where we follow the main character Gerald out on different missions, facing new situation in each story.

I would also take a look at Neil Gaimans "Sandman" comics which is told masterfully episodically.

3. Eunoia

Eunoia Contributor Contributor

Thanks, they're both in a local library thankfully. :)

4. w176

w176 Contributor Contributor

The Sandman got a bit of a shaky start. During the 3 first issues it still stumbling trying to find it shape. I was sort of ground braking comics when it came so thats understandable. It still really good mystical horror stories but not really living up to the levels the stories would reach later.

But after the story "The sound of her wings" when Dream gets a visit from his sister Death the story really kicks off.