1. UrbanBanshee

UrbanBanshee Member

Books with magic and techonology

Discussion in 'Discussion of Published Works' started by UrbanBanshee, Jan 29, 2012.

Anyone know books that feature magic and technology? Not just urban fantasy, where the magical world is seperate from our world, or stories where someone from our time ends up in a different world where magic exists.

I'm looking for stories where magical creatures don't have a problem with cell phones, the internet or technology. Not necessarily those particulare pieces of technology have to be in the story. I'm mainly looking for an urban fantasy-ish story where technology isn't evil and nature isn't good. It does't have to take place on earth, the point is magic and technology lives side by side and often works together.

I know it's a tall order, but there has to be at least a couple out there.

It would be doubly awesome if the main character isn't a cop/detective/PI or some variation of that, and they have magic. Age or gender of the character doesnt matter, or the target age of the audience.

Twists on the urban fantasy genre are fine too. If I can find a single book I'll call it a win :D

2. Superevil225

Superevil225 Member

The True Blood Novels by Charlaine Harris are very good (The first is titled Dead Before Dark). I'm not exactly sure what you're looking for, but that might be it. It's basically set in modern day. There's vampires, but they don't live in secret. They've 'come out of the coffin' so to speak and function in the real world. There are also other creatures like shape shifters and werewolves but they don't reveal their existence until later in the series.

Basically the books follow Sookie, who gets caught up in the whole supernatural mumbo jumbo and starts to solve mysteries and fight vampires with her vampire boy friend Bill. It's a bit difficult to explain without making it sound cliched on paper. She's not a cop/detective but there is more of a mystery element to it. :)

3. Amphigory

Amphigory New Member

Charles De Lint's books fit what you're looking for, I think! It's been years since I've read them, but many of them are brilliant and integrate technology and magic very well indeed. I seem to recall one where there was a magical creature created by the internet even, somehow...

I'm afraid I couldn't give you any specific titles, but do look him up.

4. UrbanBanshee

UrbanBanshee Member

I remember reading some of this series awhile back. Vaguely. It was in my high school vampy years. I've grown out of the vampire phase, though I do appreciate the suggestion.

Any ideas on any vampire free books anyone? Maybe the term magiteck might mean something to someone out there. I probably ask too much lol. Well, back to wading through google and trying to find something.

5. Amphigory

Amphigory New Member

Oh, magiteck? Hm...

Yeurgh... I read something a few years ago...

Stupid titles and their tendency to blend together in my brain! But... isn't Brandon Sanderson's latest Mistborn book fantasy-with-technology? The first three were set in a more typical fantasy historical world (with an awesome magic system, I might add), but in the fourth I think he jumps ahead some centuries and into what is essentially an urban fantasy. I haven't read it, but that might be what you're looking for.

From what I've heard it stands by itself, too, so you don't have to have read the first three to read that one.

...though now I think about it, it might not even be out yet.

I AM THE MOST HELPFUL PERSON ON EARTH, I SWEAR! :p

6. UrbanBanshee

UrbanBanshee Member

Wait so I get not just one book but a series!? Day, you've been made. Never heard of this series before, so thanks. :D

7. THP

THP New Member

I'm currently writing a series which is fantasy set in a 30s-esque world. I'm currently polishing the first novella. The MC is a knight, but the modern version is something a bit like a PI i'm afraid, though not entirely so.

8. Amphigory

Amphigory New Member

No worries! Do let me know if it works out!
    It is a good series, so even if it isn't what you're looking for in this context, do be sure to give it a shot sometime. :)

9. Kitty08

Kitty08 New Member

I believe the Bartimaeus trilogy is like this, but it's been a while since I read it so I could be mistaken. It's set in modern London, but an alternate universe, with magic. The tech is interesting; it's a mostly modern with a bit of Victorian thrown in, because with magic they don't need to have super-advanced tech (a bit like Harry Potter, but it came out before HP was popular, I think). Anyway, even if it's not exactly what you're looking for, it's a good series. The first book is The Amulet of Samarkand.

10. Amphigory

Amphigory New Member

Oh yeah! Man, I have to reread that series. It was so very, very awesome.

Which makes me think. I don't suppose steampunk would fit in with what you're looking for, Banshee?

11. UrbanBanshee

UrbanBanshee Member

Ooh I remember those books too. Very much what I had in mind and I too should probably retread them. I'd love to be recommended a steampunk book. :D

12. Shilac

Shilac New Member

If you want combine magic and technology then what about something like the Warhammer 40k novels which all include magic and technology operating side-by-side.