1. bluewing79

bluewing79 New Member

Need some help with storybuilding

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by bluewing79, Jan 19, 2009.

Hello. Me and my friend have been planning an idea for a fantasy book for about a year and a half. We have done most of the worldbuilding, charachers and storyline and need some fresh eyes to look the main story idea. Would it be appropriate to post it here for some feedback or.. ?:confused:

2. Kratos

Kratos New Member

Most people will say that it's your story, so do it the way you want. You can post it for feedback if you want. I'll look at it. :cool:

3. Mesuno

Mesuno New Member

Hi Bluewing,

I guess feel free to post it, but it is your story and you will know it better than any of us. Also, be aware that when you start writing your story will change - if you stick rigidly to a plan you will miss opportunities within your story for your characters to do the unexpected.

I'd say start writing, use your storyline as a guide but then be free to open things up when you want within the writing. I certainly find that ideas flow best when I'm writing and missing links in a storyline now might be trivial when you get to them later, with natural solutions flowing easily from what has gone before.

I'll certainly look over it if you do decide to post it.

4. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

A story concept means nothing. I can tell you now, it has been done before. What matters is how you write it, the characterization, the flow, the imagery, all of it.

There's no point to asking what other people think of the concept! They'll either say,"Sounds great," or, "it sounds like a ripoff of..."

If the idea stirs you, write it. Then ask people what they think of the final story. After they tell you what they don't like about it, revise it, usually several times, until you're happy with it or until you throw up your hands and say the hell with it.

Please read this thread about What is Plot Creation and Development?

(and yes, this is a template post, which should give you an idea of how often this comes up.)

Enough planning! Start writing it, and don't worry whether te concept is worldshaking. Te writing is everything. If it inspired you this long, it's got some staying power. Don't wring it and mash it until you've expended all the excitement you have for it, and don't suck the life out of it by trying to get approval or p[ermission to write it from a bunch of strangers.

5. Aristocrazy

Aristocrazy New Member

i suppose ive slugged through 2 years of polishing and fixing hang up's so I guess I will try writing a script... probably just do it film or play style for now though as comic script style is intimidating at this point. plus there are film scripts I can mimic here.

6. bluewing79

bluewing79 New Member

Point taken :) Guess we be better off not planning the story to death either. Thanks for reply and i better get started writing the story. Maybe post the first chapter for reviewing later on in the review forum :)

7. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Off topic posts removed.

8. captain kate

captain kate Senior Member

Yuppers

because only one can make your plot come through and work, and that's not something we can really help with per se and keep it your work. It's tough to do, I know from first hand experience but highly rewarding when finished!