1. Jeff Countryman

Jeff Countryman Living the dream

I inserted my life into Dramatica-Pro . . . and now need therapy!

Discussion in 'Writing Software and Hardware' started by Jeff Countryman, Jan 13, 2016.

Dramatica Pro . . . IS NOT . . . for the young and inexperienced - it's meant for the mature writer with bona fides at the doctorate level. I love it :):):):) ! After 4 months of studying this dang thing, and applying it (applied sciences?), my massive novel/characters/settings have taken on a whole new (dare I say - professional/Hollywood-script-ready?) aura. Damn, it feels good! I see the light! :bigsmile:

After explaining it endlessly to my husband, he suggested I write a short story about my own life (as boring as it is) and run it through Dramatic Pro. LOL - apparently, I need to be locked up in a mental institution . . . how sweet is that??? I always knew!

Learning about the craft of writing is half the battle.

Just my 2 cents' worth,
    Jeff

P.S. --> I'm not trying to sell the product. I actually use the free version (which you can't save anything) and just write notes from it (and screen capture) and go from there. Where there's a will to learn for free, there's a way!

Sack-a-Doo! likes this.
  2. NiallRoach

NiallRoach Contributor Contributor

I have precisely zero idea what this thing is.

Komposten likes this.
  3. Sack-a-Doo!

Sack-a-Doo! Contributor Contributor

I have to agree, Jeff. I use bits and pieces of the Dramatica process from time to time and if I hadn't read everything in the 808.3 section of the Vancouver Public Library beforehand, I'd be totally lost.

Congrats on finding out just how nuts you are. Welcome to the head-space. ;)

Jeff Countryman likes this.
  4. Jeff Countryman

@Sack-a-Doo! . . . Dewey!! :):):)

808 - Rhetoric & collections of literary texts from more than two literatures (from Wikipedia)

I'm in good company :agreed:, apparently. LOL. Thanks for making me think!

5. Sack-a-Doo!

How odd. In the VPL, it's books on writing. :) I even double-checked using their online portal... 808.3

6. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

I have the paid version of D.S.P. I bought as a sort of experiment a while back during a slow period at work. Shortly thereafter work picked back up, which is par for the course as regards how the universe engages me. One day I'll find time to try to wrap my head around it. If complexity is the goal, D.S.P. WINS!

ETA: As an aside, it seems the product's name has changed to Dramatica Story Expert, at least in its Mac incarnation.

7. Sack-a-Doo!

This website unravels the complexity rather a lot. Hope it helps.

8. Lifeline

Lifeline South. Supporter Contributor

Huh. Sure makes sense in terms of my own plot. Awesome! And gave me some sharp focus aka my subconscious got inspiration ;)

The things one learns here. Thanks!
    edit: sorry, found out that you were talking about software and not about the website *blush*

9. Jeff Countryman

@Lifeline, @Sack-a-Doo! - That's the site that got me hooked on Dramatica Pro lol. It actually explains it a lot better than the company's site (although you can download, for free, the manual that does a good job of getting more in depth and I refer to it a lot now that I know what I'm doing).

@Wreybies - I wish I had a Mac to use the Dramatica Story Expert version; it looks sleek compared to the PC version which looks/feels clunky like an early 1980's software (still usable but would like the bells and whistles of the Mac version).

Sack-a-Doo! likes this.
  10. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

To give it a fair go, I have to find a space (referring to time) when I engage it without having something preconceived in mind.

11. Jack Asher

Jack Asher Banned Contributor

For $150.00 it had better give me a sun tan and get my coffee while I work!

Jeff Countryman and Cave Troll like this.