1. SSW

SSW Member

Short story collection recommendation

Discussion in 'Discussion of Published Works' started by SSW, Jan 7, 2020.

I like reading stuff with lots of tension and weird monsters. Can you recommend any short stories collections thats like Orwell's 1984 or berserk the manga.

The more wierd,macabre and intense the better. Twist endings or books that have you thinking with each story's end.

I am trying to discover someone new to read.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2020
  2. Naomasa298

Naomasa298 HP: 10/190 Status: Confused Contributor

The Horror subforum.

3. More

More Active Member

There are loads of short story collections about . Solaris books , publish a collection on new Sci fi every year . The older S/H ones can be bought on line for next- to- nothing. The stories are mixed , but the books are a good introduction to new writers .

SSW likes this.
  4. Lemex

Lemex That's Lord Lemex to you. Contributor

Lovecraft, Poe, M.R. James.

Those are pretty good.

5. Xoic

Xoic Prognosticator of Arcana Ridiculosum Contributor Blogerator

Ambrose Bierce was a forerunner of Poe's I think (or a follower? Maybe he came between Poe and Lovecraft?) and his stories are often in the vein of weird fiction and horror, but I'm not sure there's much in the way of monsters there. Still good though. His collection Can Such Things Be? Is good.

Or for a really monstrously massive collection try The Weird: A Compendium of Strange and Dark Stories edited by Anne and Jeff VanderMeer. Over a thousand pages (!!), collecting stories in the Weird tradition (so coined by Lovecraft I believe) going back to Victorian days and working forward into like the 80's or 90's. Some of them are very subtle, some have weird monsters dripping off the pages. If you click on through to Amazon and check the Look Inside, you can read the first dozen stories or so if I remember right. Just that alone is like reading a small collection. Hell, just check the table of contents and it will give you reams of authors to check out, many of which have books available for free download on Project Gutenberg and Archive.org. I find Algernon Blackwood and Arthur Machen to be particularly excellent.

Lemex likes this.
  6. SethLoki

SethLoki Retired Autodidact Contributor

The Great Frustration ~ Seth Fried ... layered, amusing, and quick to chew through.

7. Heydonz

Heydonz Member

If you have not read it yet then I 100% recommend Charlotte Gilman's 'The Yellow Wall Paper'. It's amazing and definitely ticks the weird box. It's is fairly easy to find online as well for free.

And if you want a collection then Angela Carter's 'The Bloody Chamber and Other stories' is phenomenal. She essentially rewrites traditional fairy tales with a twist - some of them get pretty weird. So if you have not read already then definitely check them out.

Xoic likes this.
  8. Historical Science

Historical Science Contributor Contributor

The Illustrated Man by Ray Bradbury may fit the bill.