1. lindwos

lindwos New Member

Reverse drama-Need Help

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by lindwos, Jul 21, 2010.

I am trying to write a TV drama.Duration 40 mins.I want to write it in reverse order i mean i am trying to apply reverse chronology.My story will start from last scene.
    Last scene is a dead body of a girl in a jungle at mid night.She murdered.then i want to show who murdered then why she came to the jungle at mid night then who is she then why she murdered...in that way...
    I mean usually story goes like from 1..2..3..4..5. But i want to write 5..4..3..2..1 in that way.
    But problem is i cant link the sequences.I cant go from current sequence to previous sequence maintaining the same curiosity..i mean cant creat a hook or twist for previous sequence.I mean cant make a valid reason for going to the previous sequence.
    Pls help me..give me an example..using 3/4 sequences..

2. Islander

Islander Contributor Contributor

Ok, let me give it a try...

Scene 5: We see the dead body and the crime scene. Then at the end of scene 5, we see a glimpse of the murderer as she leaves, but just a shadow, not enough to guess who it is.

Scene 4: We see the murderer approach the crime scene, but from her viewpoint. We don't see her face or who she is. Then we see her meet the victim, we see the victim's reaction, and there is some dialogue that hints at the background to the murder, to catch the viewer's interest. The scene ends when the murderer takes out the murder weapon (which we don't see).

Scene 3: We are shown the murderer's preparations. At the end of the scene, we are shown the murder weapon for the first time - preferably something unconventional. During the scene, more hints as to the background to the murder are dropped. We are possibly shown the identity of the murderer during this scene, but we can also be kept on hold even longer.
    Scene 1: The murderer meets the victim, who greets her in a friendly fashion and hugs her. They talk, and at the end of the scene, all the pieces fall into place, and the viewer understands why she wanted to murder her friend (or why she wasn't really her friend, or whatever reason she had).

3. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

i can't see this working either from a marketability standpoint, or from the viewers'...

having one 'end scene' for the opening and then showing the chronological sequence of events leading up to it is a standard for mysteries, but doing what you're suggesting will only result in an incomprehensible [and unmarketable] mess, imo...

and what do you mean by '40 minutes'?... an hour-long tv drama script will have a running time of from 44 to 52 minutes... which will = several pages more than the amount of minutes it runs...

why are you writing this?... is it for a course assignment?... if you hope to sell it, i hope you're in the uk, because you won't have a chance in the us, unless you're already working in the industry and have solid gold contacts and a good agent...

4. Northern Phil

Northern Phil Active Member

You should watch Memento. That goes from the end to the beginning.