Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bssam

Bssam New Member

High school teaching

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Bssam, Sep 18, 2019.

Task: The teaching high school should be focused on the success of students in the workforce rather than in academics only. To what extent do you agree?

My Ans:

It is undeniable that education is a quintessential part in our life. Pedagogical experts have made a significant progress in the development of education systems. However, more emphasis should be placed on practical skills that are related inherently to the job market. It is agreed on this assertion and analysing the main reasons: job satisfaction and personal development of students will be discussed.

To begin with, students engagement with practical activities is by far more important than academic achievements and results in job satisfaction. For instance, companies in Italy usually hire students who have involved in extracurricular activities especially internships. Those students are usually well paid and feel comfortable in the work environment. Conversely, those with only academic background usually are rejected by many companies, leading them to not being satisfied with their job. This shows that teaching practical lessons applied in the job market leads to job satisfaction.

Furthermore, interpersonal skills of students are improved through teaching them practical trainings. For example, Saudi Arabia has changed its high school education system by adding two compulsory hours dedicated for the teaching of extracurricular activities related to the job market. This change has improved students performance in the work environment as been reported by many companies. It is clear that interpersonal communication skills of students are evolved adopting this teaching style.

To sum up, academic achievement alone can never widen someone's horizon and lead to job satisfaction. Students engagement in practical internships in high schools should be promoted to foster interpersonal skills and empower our next generation to be successful in the job market.

I am a non-native English speaker, I practice every day by writing an essay. I know that I have some mistakes, so please feel free to point them out.

2. EFMingo

EFMingo A Modern Dinosaur Supporter Contributor

This seems like a homework short answer question. Is this homework?

3. ciinddyyy

ciinddyyy New Member

In my opinion, there is too much emphasis on academics. My mother always states that what she took in her first-year university, I learned in grade eleven. Students are being force-fed so much information in such a short time, making it very hard for them to thrive with extracurriculars and the pressures of high marks. And then when they finally graduate they are thrown into the real world, with no practical skills. They have no idea how to pay taxes, act in job interviews or budget their income. Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed school and everything I learned (especially biology0 but I wish there was a higher emphasis on how to actually live in the real world after we graduate.

Some Guy likes this.
  4. jannert

jannert Retired Mod Supporter Contributor

I'm one of the Moderators here. I'm sorry to intervene, but this is a discussion topic that is not actually about writing and does not belong in General Writing.

Normally it should be moved to the Debate Room, but as the original poster, Bssam, is a new member and not entitled (yet) to participate in the Debate Room, which requires 90 days' membership, I am moving this thread to the Lounge. All sorts of topics that are not writing-related can be discussed in The Lounge, and as long as the discussion stays civil, it can remain in The Lounge.

This is an interesting topic ...but just in the wrong place on the forum. :)

5. deadrats

deadrats Contributor Contributor

I am a strong believer in the benefits of higher education. In America there are trade high schools where students do graduate with job skills and ready to enter the workforce. The thing is those are going to be entry-level jobs for the most part. We need higher education for future scientists and doctors. I also believe in higher education for the arts where young and fresh talent can be fostered.

A lot of teenagers don't know what they want to do for a job when they grow up, and, I think, asking a 14 or 15 year old to choose a career path is little ridiculous. A well-rounded education is a better education as I see it. That prepares students for university where they will be at a better age for choosing a career path. At a lot of universities (in America) you don't have to pick a major for two years. I read an article years ago on this topic. I believe there was a Florida school that was implementing majors, sort of like a trade school, but I believe there were options beyond learning a trade such as English for those who wanted to eventually teach or write. The argument against this was kind of exactly what I said. Kids are too young to make such big life decisions. One of the people in the article said something about the benefits of students taking a gap year. That's also not a bad idea in my experience. There's a lot to be said for life experience and giving a young person time to find themselves.

High school is never going to offer students the same opportunities as university. And kids need that time in high school to grow up. Also, the jobs for high school graduates are quite limited compared to those with degrees. Higher education is what really opens new doors, in my opinion. There's already enough to learn in high school. Some districts and states require high school students to not only pass all their classes to graduate but also pass a standardized test. Trade school students are not exempt from this test to graduate. It's something that's been adopted into some educations systems as a retirement. This test includes the basic subjects, and has nothing to do with any sort of job training.

A problem in America is that now teachers are adjusting their teaching to fit the test. I'm not a fan of this or these sort of tests. But I do think it's important to understand history and how government works. It's important to learn science so you're not stupid. It's important to know the different theres and such and at least the basics of writing. High school is about preparing kids to make decisions about their lives. You don't need to start a career the day after graduation. But after graduation that's when these kids will start making big decisions on their own. That's what high school should prepare them for, rather than teaching them a job skill where they might feel locked in with something they might not feel the same way about four years later. That's my take on it, anyway.

Full disclosure: I do have a terminal degree. I also believe I am a writer as a result of the degrees I earned. It's not the degree itself. It's what I learned to get those degrees at an age where I better knew what I wanted to do with my life. And, yes, not everyone needs to study writing to be a writer, but I did. Some people call these sort of degrees "luxury degrees." I hate that, but at the same time I don't really care what people think. I know the work it took to earn those degrees and the end result was that I actually became a writer. Having spent twice as much time in higher education as I did high school, there's no comparison in which one really prepared me not only for a career I wanted but also the real world.

6. Bssam

Bssam New Member

This is only a practice about the IELTS exam and I usually write in order to improve my writing skills only

EFMingo likes this.
  7. Bssam

Bssam New Member

I appreciate your point of view. However, I wanted to point out grammer mistakes or sentence structure mistakes. As I told, this is a typical task for the IELTS exam where they care about the writing itself and not the opinion. In other words, I could have written about disagreeing to this prompt and support my answers by examples as you did.

Hope my point is clear to you. I appreciate your reply!

8. Bssam

Bssam New Member

As I told, I usually write those essays for the sake of improving my writing skills. I am not here to argue whether my point of view is correct or not. I want a feedback about my writing itself. What critical mistakes that I did? And how to improve my writing? I appreciate if you can tell me what is the proper section for such tasks, so that I can always write there.

9. Bssam

Bssam New Member

Amazing reply and your point of view is well supported by examples and facts. I am a non-native speaker, and I just want to improve my writing skills. Actually, I wrote this essay just for fulfill 250 words about this topic (I have the choice to agree or disagree) what is evaluated is the writing itself in terms of grammer, sentence structure, lexical resources and coherence and cohesion. Those kind of questions are asked in the IELTS writing exam. So I just need to improve my writing skills and I need feedbacks about the mistakes that I have done and how to improve some parts of the paragraph.

10. Mckk

Mckk Member Supporter Contributor

If you're wanting feedback on your writing, then your entry belongs in the Workshop, for which you need to have fulfilled certain requirements before you can even post there. I appreciate you're trying to practice your English, and you're welcome to practice by participating in real discussions here. I've closed your thread, because we're not here to proofread your English. We're here to build a community and have interesting discussions.

We're, of course, also here to give each other feedback, but for that you need to give back to the forum by being an active, participating member of the community. Otherwise we'll be filled with people who just wanna take feedback and give nothing in return, and then we'd no longer have a forum.

jannert, Some Guy and EFMingo like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.