1. Leaka

Leaka Creative Mettle

Music to Write To

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Leaka, Oct 23, 2008.

I need music to write to. So I thought it would be fun if we could share music together and also talk about our strange musical habit.
    Certain music gives me the muse to write. And I bust out super ideas. But usually it has to be something I haven't listened to.
    I usually like to write to music that doesn't have words. Because that is when I get emotion.
    Like trance, techno, and classical.
    Is anyone else like this?
    That it has to be a different song or you can't come up with a different idea.
    Could someone recommend some music in the trance, techno, and classical genre to listen to?

2. Acglaphotis

Acglaphotis New Member

In the Classical genre I recommend soundtracks like the ones from the Final Fantasy games, they are very "moody" in that they were made to represent some situation (danger, chill, etc). My personal favorites are the ones from FFXII and FFTA. The soundtrack from V for Vendetta and A Clockwork Orange are pretty good too. If you like variation, you can try Dexter's soundtrack.

3. Farseer

Farseer New Member

I would highly recommend both this: http://ff7.ocremix.org/ and the .hack//SIGN soundtrack. As well as the original Final Fantasy 7 soundtrack. "Place of Memory" from FF9 is also brilliant. .hack//SIGN has hands-down the best soundtrack for anything I have ever heard in my life. "Aura" and "In Your Mind" are particularly beautiful. All of the songs from the above listed give me inspiration like nothing else. Curve is an excellent group for writing, too. :) I simply can't write without music.

And I echo the sentiment, on techno. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EzrxopKkpr8 This is a beautiful song, both the music and the lyrics. Inspirational in all senses of the word. I can send the original, though not that specific song, through any messenger or email to anyone who wants it. :)

4. Leaka

Leaka Creative Mettle

Oh, I already listen to the Hack Soundtrack.
    I like that soundtrack.
    My problem is once I've listened to a certain song so many times before I don't get a muse from it any more.
    I always need new music or else, I crash.
    And I wanted to know if anyone else gets this way as well?

I like this song:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zwen0cPBsZ8

5. JinX

JinX Banned

I enjoy writing to pachbel sometimes, but mostly I listen/write to metal, such as:

Nightwish, Leaves' Eyes, Epica, Sonata Arctica, Within Temptation, Stream of Passion.

All are awesome bands and for the most part are symphonic metal with beautiful vocals. Lots of folkness as well =)

6. Leaka

Leaka Creative Mettle

Cool.
    I'll check them out.

Some trance people I listen to is Juno Reactor, Orbital, Lords of Acid

7. Only Sissies Write

Only Sissies Write New Member

I'd take the approach of listening to music that reflects the mood of what you are writing. I do like the Final Fantasy soundtracks because I'm so familiar with them and there aren't words to distract me. Other than that...sad scene, sad song. Maybe Keith Urban or Staind. Weird, confused scene? The band Tool. Anything by them. Fast paced, perilous scene? More aggressive stuff like Disturbed. Fun, happy scene? Charlie Daniels. Relaxed scene? Relaxed classical.

You get the idea. I'm not saying anyone should look into those bands specifically, just whatever will get you into the mood you want to be in for what you are writing.

8. Leaka

Leaka Creative Mettle

Well music always depends on my mood.
    But I can tend to listen to a whole rock playlist and still write sad scenes.
    I write mostly horror, so creepy classical music helps me more then happy classical music.
    The problem with final fantasy music, the music is to fantasy for me. Can't construct a good horror scene with fantasy music.
    When I feel like a fantasy story I'll listen to it though.

9. Banzai

Banzai One-time Mod, but on the road to recovery Contributor

Look into the battlestar galactica (remake) soundtracks. It might sound daft, but Bear McCreary (the composer) produces some awesome stuff.

10. tehuti88

tehuti88 New Member

I don't listen to music when I write since I'd get too caught up in enjoying the music, or else would just tune it out to concentrate on writing, and what's the point of that?

However, if you like good instrumental stuff, might I recommend ES Posthumus? Their two CDs ("Unearthed" and "Cartographer," a 2-disk set) are kind of hard to find but are really good for music without words. None of that wishy-washy ambient stuff.

The instrumental CD of Nightwish's "Dark Passion Play" is also very good, but the rest of their music has vocals.

11. Leaka

Leaka Creative Mettle

Cool thanks guys.
    I'm sure those who write with music, who haven't listened to this really appreciate it as well.
    Though no one has answered my first question.
    All well, thank you.
    I'm checking the people now.

12. Farseer

Farseer New Member

I second Nightwish, but not just Dark Passion Play. All of their stuff has an epic fantasy adventure feel. "Ocean Soul," "Last of the Wilds," "Eclipse" and "Dead to the World" are my favorites.

13. soujiroseta

soujiroseta Contributor Contributor

i like to listen to alot of clint mansell's stuff like the requiem for a dream soundtrack and various others, but it really depends on the kind of scene im writing. For romantic scenes i usually go for something slower like the romeo and juliet soundtrack.

14. Leaka

Leaka Creative Mettle

Could someone recommend me some good ethnic music?

Some India stuff, I'm talking Hindu Indian stuff.

I like a lot of ethnic music as well, so yeah.
    I really need some good ethnic music.

15. Farseer

Farseer New Member

"The Child In Us" by Enigma is an excellent song, somewhat in that vein. As before, any song I name, I am able to send to anyone. :)

16. Leaka

Leaka Creative Mettle

I listen to Enya and Enigma.
    I really like that type of music as well.

17. Farseer

Farseer New Member

18. Leaka

Leaka Creative Mettle

How about Organ music?
    Anyone know any good organ music?
    I'm talking about the instrument organ of course.

19. Nilfiry

Nilfiry Senior Member

Game music is good for you! Game OSTs are are written for atmosphere; it helps you write related scene better. How about some tracks from Golden Sun: The Lost Age?

20. Leaka

Leaka Creative Mettle

I'll go try it out Nilfry.

I find anime music, classical music, and game music helps me the most.

21. Farseer

Farseer New Member

But the organ is, in fact, the least musical of all organs.

22. RageAgainstClass

RageAgainstClass New Member

Some of my favorites for writing:

Land of Confusion-Genesis (The lyrics mean so much, how can you not be inspired?)
    Holy Wars...The Punishment Due-Megadeth (Also means a ton, and is very well put together and has extremely musical harmonies between the guitars...so good.)
    American Pie-Don McLean (Basically a story song, about some current events at the time.)
    Turn the Page-Bob Seger (Very dark, mysterious. Metallica has a cover, but it is not nearly as dark as Seger's version.)
    ...And Justice for All-Metallica (Whether you are a heavy musician or not, listen to it. The guitars are layered and create beautiful, almost Rimsky-Korsakov like harmonies. Add lyrics about government corruption, 2 sick guitar solos, and a weird coming-home part that reminds me of some sunset scene in some movie, and you get an amazing song.)
    ANYTHING BY JIMI HENDRIX OR ERIC CLAPTON
    Ride the Lightning-Metallica (Powerful, angry lyrics questioning the justice behind the death penalty. Very heavy, not everyone will like this song.)

23. Leaka

Leaka Creative Mettle

Thanks rageagainstclass.
    None of it was my style.
    Megadeth is trucker rock, and I do not like trucker rock.

Metallica is awesome.
    Metallica wooo!

24. Farseer

Farseer New Member

Metallica doesn't usually catch my interest, but "Nothing Else Matters" and "Fade to Black" are both very emotionally-charged songs for me. I love them. :)

25. Leaka

Leaka Creative Mettle

I like "Disposable Heroes"
    That is a good song, and that is emotionally charged.
    I like NIN as well, Nine Inch Nails.