1. story_teller

story_teller New Member

I don't want to be famous, I just wan't to be awesome! (or just a bit)

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by story_teller, Jan 6, 2012.

I'm lazy, I need to keep writing and keep practising, but I don't see the harm in just telling a story for the sake of sharing a good old yarn. I have good days and bad with grammar and spelling, tense and basic sentence structure, I'm not stupid, I have a diploma in creative writing, but I like to tell the story, like make them up as I go out loud, so I apologise now to anyone who might one day have to endure the great task of proof reading and editing any of my work. I can't do it, I see what I hear in my head, just now reading back the second sentence has like 7 commas and must last for almost 15seconds...... not good. How can I get the stories that are in my head onto paper........ without ranting?:confused::confused::confused:

2. Ziggy Stardust

Ziggy Stardust Active Member

If you're an oral person (harr harr) buy one of those personal memo devices (little machines with a microphone that record into an mp3) or a headset for your computer, and just dictate your stories. Then play them back and type them out as they read.

I'm concerned that you have a "diploma in creative writing" and yet don't know how to use commas. :confused:

3. Kio

Kio New Member

Lol, wow.

Okay, first of all, if you're really concerned about not ranting, learn to use commas. Ask for help or read up on comma usage. That should really cut it down and, eventually, it will come naturally. Or, at least to me it did.There are times where you will make mistakes, but it happens to everyone. Good luck and welcome!

1 person likes this.
  4. Jhunter

Jhunter Mmm, bacon. Contributor

Punctuation and Grammar.

5. Mercury12000

Mercury12000 New Member

I don't universally equate good storytelling with good story writing. I am no good at relating things orally, but I can sure write it.

Perhaps you ought to focus your creative attention on your spoken word ability. Poetry reading, stand up comedy, open mic stuff.

You may be working in the wrong medium.

6. story_teller

story_teller New Member

Thanks everyone, I think I know I have to practice. @Ziggy dust, Can use them, it's just when I get going I cant keep up with my head.
    @Mercury12000 Stand up is a new goal of mine, check out my blog. :)

7. Granville

Granville New Member

You're passionate about writing. Admit it! It is evident in the way you talk about writing for the sake of a good old yarn! If you're writing good 7-comma sentences, how can that necessarily be bad? You may already be closer to the state of awesomeness than you think you are! When it comes to creative writing, don't worry about anything else, just create. Artistic license affords great latitude to the story-teller for that reason. Spelling is irrelevant in the creative stage, as long as you know what the words mean--grammar too for that matter. If you are suddenly possessed by a fleeting wisp of creative inspiration, get it written down. Use hieroglyphs if that's what it takes, but don't let that illusive vision, that fragile embryo of an unborn world be stifled and lost in concerns over grammatical conformity. Do that later. Don't let that “ripping good yarn” get away. As for the 7-comma sentences, if after revising and editing you can find no better, more appropriate, more concise or clearer way to structure that sentence, and after having someone else read it and successfully achieve a clear understanding without help from you, then perhaps that sentence is fine and dandy just the way it is. And that's... AWESOME!