1. phyrlord

phyrlord New Member

Star Wars Books/Series

Discussion in 'Discussion of Published Works' started by phyrlord, Apr 29, 2012.

With May 4th coming up. 'May the fourth be with you' I was wondering if anyone can recommend any good star wars novels or series of novels.

I have heard that some of the best star wars stuff comes from the novel franchises.

2. Cristian

Cristian Member

Try "Darth Bane", they're a series of 3 novels which are incredibly astonishing. They will get you hooked from the start, so make sure you have a lot of free time before you begin dwelling into the world of Drew Karpyshyn.

3. Lazy

Lazy Banned

What's the point of reading any Star Wars expanded universe fiction? It's all essentially fanfiction, and most of it isn't particularly good fanfiction. Write your own book and as far as I'm concerned it's just as canonical as any of the others.

4. The Crazy Kakoos

The Crazy Kakoos New Member

Entertainment.

Personally I like the recent audiobooks in the Star Wars series. They always seem to be granted a budget big enough to include sound effects, background noises, and music which are timed well. Marc Thompson is also a very skilled narrator. His range of voices is impressive. So really it comes off as being a radio drama/audiobook hybrid.

If you go the audiobook route then I'd start with Millenium Falcon with Marc Thompson and then the Fate of The Jedi series.

If you want a stand alone book then probably Darth Plagues. Darth Plagues is probably one of the better stories that can stand by itself.

Other than that... I'm not sure. There are so many Star Wars books I wouldn't know where to start. I'm you there is a book timeline somewhere and you can just start with which ever story takes place after Return of The Jedi I suppose.

5. Leia

Leia Member

I loved the X-Wing Series by Michael Stackpole, and the Han Solo Trilogy. Shadows of the Empire by Steve Perry was also a pretty good read.

6. Skodt

Skodt New Member

I have never looked into star wars. Do you find out more about what happened in between anakins turn, and his death as Vader? Like how he came to power, what happened to the council. The fall out of the jedis? Thats really the story I would be most interested in if it was told.

7. TWErvin2

TWErvin2 Contributor Contributor

I read the original series novels (Star Wars, Return of the Jedi, The Empire Strikes Back) back in the 1980. I found it interesting in that you do get more into the thoughts and motivations of characters. One thing that stood out from back then is Darth Vader's objective to join with his son to overthrow the Emperor. Also the fact that until the last fight with Luke Skywalker, it had never occurred to him that he might actually lose a light saber duel with his son. I'm not a major Star Wars fan so I guess that says something if I can recall it 30 years later.

8. Leia

Leia Member

Pretty much every time frame not covered between the movies is covered in the novels. I like 'em because I'm a complete nerd for the movies, and the books just give a deeper understanding of the characters...even if they're not sanctioned by Lucas, they're still fun.