1. honey hatter

honey hatter Banned

Advice on 1st, 2nd person pov

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by honey hatter, May 9, 2018.

I'm writing my story and i'm having difficulty with the point of view. I'm writing entirely in 1st person sofar, the 2nd main character is seen through the eyes of main. example.

I saw you then. You picked up the goblet and took a drink.

You spoke as silently as a whisper. "I'm not hungry anymore."

I cant think of any examples where authors have used this writing style. Can i break from that narrative, without breaking the story? I want both characters to be have there own voice, is that possible with a 1st person perspective viewing all characters. I don't want to the story to break under the pov.

2. ChickenFreak

ChickenFreak Contributor Contributor

Can you clarify why you want to use second person?

3. honey hatter

honey hatter Banned

To give her character more, character. More insight into what she was thinking/feeling rather than being totally view through the 1st main characters perspective. When you lock your story into one main character, and that character observing the thoughts, actions, feelings. I'm not new to the idea of this having read so many books, I am new to writing. It's feeling different in practice.

I know Jim Butcher does a masterful job of the 1st person perspective from his main characters pov. I was trying to emulate that 1st person view.

I broke through my writers block today, thank goodness. I'm having a little problem with the view.

Describing another characters thoughts and ideas isn't as easy as I thought it would be, coming from only one characters point of view.

4. honey hatter

honey hatter Banned

More thoughts, in a book every character is as important as the main character even if they are only there for one page. Otherwise your characters could seem like cardboard cutouts and not real. There would be a disconnect to the story for the reader.

Sorry if I'm not explaining good enough.

5. ChickenFreak

I'm not asking why you want first person. I also wouldn't ask why you want third person. It's second person that I don't get.

Your example could just as easily be third person:

I saw Janet then. She picked up the goblet and took a drink.

She spoke as silently as a whisper. "I'm not hungry anymore."

Why second person?

If you want to get into each character's mind, the classic way to do that is close third person with a changing POV character.

Stormburn likes this.
  6. honey hatter

honey hatter Banned

I found myself drifting from lane one into lane two, for a second. What I wrote there was just off the top of my head.

There are two main characters but only one gets the first person point of view. I was drifting from my 1st main to observations. Then I wrote a sentence purely from the 2nd characters view, what she wanted, what she was thinking. I stopped myself there. I just need to tell my characters what there inspirations are and let the camera roll.

7. ChickenFreak

I'm confused. Are you no longer asking a question?

8. honey hatter

honey hatter Banned

Lol shit, apologies... I'm going to come back to the question later.
    Nope I got nothing right now.

I'll just quote the guy that talks to Neo. "Sounds to me like you just need to unplug man, get a little r&r."

Note to self don't ask writing questions when I haven't eaten... *tips hat to CF*
    I may drive a stake through this question.

9. ChickenFreak

Sure, yep. But if you decide to return to the question of how to get deep in the head of more than one character, try researching "close third person". You can get as close to a character in third person as in first person, but you have the advantage of being able to swap POV. (You can swap POV in first person, but it's weirder.)

You may decide, nah, you don't want to do that, you enjoy first person too much. But just in terms of what you can do with the tools, close third person, with changing POV characters, should be able to do what you want.

10. honey hatter

honey hatter Banned

Thanks CF i will look into that, I do love first person narrative it feels comfortable. What you said about swapping pov in first person, I think that's what got me flipped upside down.