1. ahmed_crow

ahmed_crow New Member

Arabic poetic verse

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by ahmed_crow, Jul 15, 2016.

This is a try by me to translate a poetic verse of a poetic play. The play was written by Egyptian poet called "Ahmed Shawqi" (1868-1932). He talked in the play about a story of another old poet and woman whom he loved, she called "Lyla" and the poet called "The crazy of Lyla" (645 - 688 AD), I don't know how to write his real name in English correctly but he known as (The crazy of Lyla), the family of Lyla refused to give him Lyla to marry her, so he comes very sad and goes everywhere like a mad man and saying poems about Lyla, this is the true know story.

Ahmed Shawqi talked about the story in his play with his way, I choose this poetic verse because it's common and beautiful, I translated it by myself, my translation may not the perfect, I did it as I can, if I knew English well, I would translate it well.

The translated verse:
    "How many times I came to Lyla with untrue reasons,
    How many reasons I have! and how many illnesses I have!"

The verse is in classical Arabic, and in classical style of Arabic poems, the illnesses were because the love, he suffered in his love.

2. ahmed_crow

ahmed_crow New Member

I want to correct something, the proper translation of the verse will be:
    "How many times I came to Lyla with untrue reasons,
    How many reasons and illnesses I have ?!"

He want that he has many reasons to say to her to come and see her and he suffered much in her love.