1. single spaced, 1.5, or double?

Discussion in 'Revision and Editing' started by Deleted member 11749, Jul 30, 2009.

Hey,
    What is the common spacing for published novels?
    My brother said it is double-spaced, but I can't believe that...that's like 250 words per page :S

2. thirdwind

thirdwind Member Contest Administrator Reviewer Contributor

Are you talking about the spacing on an actual novel or on a manuscript that you submit? If it's the former, then it's almost always single spaced. I believe most agents/publishers like double spaced when it comes to submitting a manuscript.

3. well both now that I know they are spaced different :p
    I thought I've read a few novels that are at least 1.5
    would single be a little bit too difficult to read in large doses?

4. thirdwind

thirdwind Member Contest Administrator Reviewer Contributor

I think reading single spaced novels is just fine. There were a few books that had microscopic print, but I didn't mind that much. But you may be right. The spacing may not be exactly 1x but could be something like 1.2x or even 1.5x as you mentioned. I guess it depends on the publisher.

5. architectus

architectus Banned

For manuscripts you want to double space, yeilding about 250 words per page. However, for spacing, I set it to exactly 25 points, or 24, depending on whether 25 or 27 lines per page gives me an average of 250 words per page.

6. Banzai

Banzai One-time Mod, but on the road to recovery Contributor

Standard manuscript format calls for 2.0 spacing. It makes for easier reading.

7. architectus

architectus Banned

I prefer reading single spaced or 1.5 spaced, but it is much easier to edit a double spaced manuscript. I think that is why editors demanded double spacing in the first place. It gives them room to write their editing suggestions above the lines.

8. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

It is important to distinguish between a published piece of writing and a manuscript. A manuscript is what you submit to a publisher. The publisher is responsible for all typesetting and layout considerations, not you.

This is a template post, based of what I have seen of posted submission guidelines. There are variations between publishers, so always give precedence to any guidelines posted by each publisher you plan to submit to:

9. alright guys, thanks.
    So I guess there is so set rule for the spacing of a published work? It can be either 1.5 or single?

10. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

it can be anything!... whatever the publisher wants it to be...

you shouldn't be concerned with spacing in the book itself, unless you intend to publish your own book and have to format it for the printer...