1. henmatth

henmatth New Member

Book Suggestions for Teens

Discussion in 'Discussion of Published Works' started by henmatth, Feb 5, 2013.

My stepdaughter is turning thirteen and I usually get her a book for her birthday (along with a few other things). As a child it was easy to find books that interested her, but now that she's becoming a teenager I'm at a loss. Stargirl is among one of my favorites and I bought that for her this year, but I was wondering what other books would be fitting and interesting for a teenager? Stargirl puts a lot of focus on being comfortable in your own skin- and realizing that life doesn't always go your way. I really appreciated that message and was hoping to find other books with a similar lesson.

2. blenderpie

blenderpie Member

These are books I loved at that age (and still do), or thatI would give to my 13 year old (if I had one), but every parent has a different idea of what is appropriate, so keep that in mind. Some of these are also books I've read through my ya lit course and would proudly keep in my classroom library.

Anything by Laurie Halse Anderson (possible sp) I read Speak when I was 13, at 15, and again in college. It was taught to me in school at 15. I've also read all of her other ya books and one or two of her children's books.

The Lovely Bones

Thirteen Reasons Why

The Perks of Being a Wallflower

Anything by John Green

Most Maureen Johnson

Liar

Hatchet

The Outsiders and That Was Then This Is Now (the later being my favorite)

Sorry i don't have authors. I'm on my phone and can't keep going to google and back.

3. Roxie

Roxie Active Member

I know my nieces (14 / 15) have been reading the Georgia Nicolson's confessions. Maybe you could give them a look see. Also, Jodi Picoult could provide interesting choices (Her Sister's keeper, Tenth Circle, etc.)

4. henmatth

henmatth New Member

Thank you for the suggestions! I actually loved 'Lovely Bones' when I was her age (although the movie didn't do it justice). That was a great recommendation! I've never read 'The Perks of Being a Wallflower', but I've heard it's magnificant for teens. Also 'Her Sister's Keeper' has had some rave reviews. I'll definitey look into those as well.

5. NellaFantasia

NellaFantasia Member

The Likes of Me was a favorite of mine as a teenager and continues to be as an adult. Summer of My German Soldier was another one. I'd also look up books by Linda Chaikin. They usually come in trilogies from what I remember and they're about young women in different places around the world. The ones I recall reading (it's been several years) was about a nurse in the Middle East during a war, and a girl growing up on a plantation in India. Clean romance, historical fiction, mysteries and adventure.

Hope these help.

6. swhibs123

swhibs123 Active Member

I don't know if I'd suggest The Lovely Bones for a 13 year old, just because of the graphic abuse/murder/rape scenes, but I am quite cautious when recommending to the teens in my life since they're my nieces and nephews and my sisters and brothers would likely harm me if I suggested books with those kinds of scenes in them. I would suggest The Book Thief, though.

7. Question

Question Active Member

I'm probably not the best person to give advice since I'm a guy, but I always liked the book tiger moon. Though it's been a while since ive read it. I think there is alluding to sex in the book, not graphic or anything but I'm not sure what your stance towards that would be, for a 13 year old.

8. blenderpie

blenderpie Member

I guess that could be true. It's been quite a few years since I read it, but I don't remember it being any more graphic than cable crime dramas (a lot of illusion to what happened). But, I can also recommend The Book Thief

9. PowerUnit

PowerUnit New Member

An adult book I'd recommend for teens is "The Town That Drowned." I recommend it for adults too ;) It's a coming of age story with some adult themes. No swearing or sex.

10. swhibs123

swhibs123 Active Member

Oh, it's worse than cable crime dramas. The movie-version doesn't have any of it there. I'd suggest taking another read, just to make sure it's not too much for her. I know some kids can handle that kind of stuff, while others might be really disturbed by it. I guess that's true for anything.

11. henmatth

henmatth New Member

The Lovely Bones is very graphic. I do remember that. But I also think that for a coming of age novel, it really brings to light a lot of issues that parents don't necessarily deal with. I'm not her actual mother- so obviously I would have to get it approved by her father (my honey) before gifting it. But I do think it's a fantastic book for young girls- because it brings up issues they don't often or usually think about (rape and murder of people their age). It brings to reality that they are not the immortal beings teens think they are.

12. Captain Ahab

Captain Ahab New Member

Of the books I remember reading at that age, the one that stands out is Flowers for Algernon by Daniel Keyes.

Has she read The Golden Compass by Philip Pullman yet? I just couldn't put it down, read the whole novel in two sittings.

13. Luna13

Luna13 Active Member

The Book Thief by Markus Zusak

14. sylvertech

sylvertech Active Member

The Portrait of Dorian Grey by Oscar Wilde.

There might be themes unsuitable for children,
    but for some reason I have read this two times so far, and was one of the first "adult" books I read.

The first time was during my early teens, at thirteen or fourteen or so,
    and the second was a year or two after.
    I read it in one sitting both times,
    making it, weirdly enough,
    the only book I have ever read twice (there might be others but I can't recall any).

15. nathanmb

nathanmb New Member

Gone by Michael Grant
    Thirteen Reasons Why
    Looking For Alaska
    Maximum Ride

16. Charlie J

Charlie J New Member

I noticed that the Perks of Being a Wallflower was already mentioned but that's what I am going to suggest also. I was about her age when I read it first time and it was very good for kids that age because the writing is easy but the story is beautiful and educating.

17. edamame

edamame Contributor Contributor

If she likes nature/survival stories, I'd suggest Jean Craighead George who wrote "Julie of the Wolves" (the main character is 13). Also, Suzanne Collins' "Hunger Games" trilogy was a big hit with teens and up, but that one's darker.

18. Sammy28

Sammy28 New Member

Uglies by Scott Westerfield has a great plot and some really good twists - it focuses a lot on beauty and the problems it can cause it's set in the future and is a very interesting way of looking at what could come about in the future.
    There's a bit of romance (all teenage girls love a bit in there) but nothing inappropriate.
    I'm 14 and read it a few months ago. I loved it and bought the second one in the series. As there us more than one in the series you could buy her the second one for another birthday/christmas !
    Another AMAZING series is the Gone series by Michael Grant. They are amazing ! Plot twists all the time ! It deals with some adult issuses and although has some violence in it, it more focuses on emotional scars rather than physical.

Hope this helps.
    - Sammy

19. NicoleAnne416

NicoleAnne416 New Member

Thirteen Reasons Why
    Nick and Norah's infinite playlist
    All books by Sarah Dessen (Maybe start with This Lullaby)
    Hunger Games trilogy
    Harry Potter
    John Green
    Audrey, Wait!
    Divergent (#1 in a trilogy) by Veronica Roth
    Anna and the French Kiss by Sephanie Perkins

20. HarleyQ.

HarleyQ. Just a Little Pit Bull (female)

Harry Potter
    The Book Thief
    Speak by Laurie Halse Anderson (it is a little dark)
    Wintergirls by Laurie Halse Anderson
    Mrs. Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children