Tags:
  1. Anonymouzz

Anonymouzz New Member

Ideas for effects of a Curse and My Curse Idea

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by Anonymouzz, Aug 20, 2017.

This is a 2 part question. My idea for my Curse was for it to cause a great deal of bad luck in my characters life. So as my MC watches ppl life go good and good things happen to them, they constantly have to deal with bad stuff happening to them. Even to the point where the Curse effects the MC loved ones as well.

My book is Contemporary and follows 18 year Adam who is struggling with his life due to an Curse thats causing him a great deal of bad luck.

1) Now i want to know what are some other good Curse effects? Like i know a life of Bad Luck is good enough but i want to play around with other ideas.

Now keep in mind lol im not thinking of using Curse ideas like "Character cant go outside at a certain time" or "Character hair falls out every full moon" or anything of that sort.

Just something similar to something as simple as "Bad Luck".

2) I was thinking to make the Curse unbreakable but im not 100% sold on that. But i also dont want this to be something the character seeks out to break. Idk. Should i come up with a way for the character to break the Curse? Like i dont want it to be a storyline. Like the MC is Curse to die at a certain time if he/she doesnt find love and she/he spends the whole book trying to find love and break the Curse. Like i dont want that lol...I want it to be something where the MC does something unexpected that breaks the Curse.

2. mashers

mashers Contributor Contributor Community Volunteer

The effect of the curse depends on what type of conflict you want to create for the character, and what you want the character to learn while attempting to resolve that conflict. So start with the character, and work from there.

I don’t think the character doing something unexpected to break the curse will be very satisfying to read. This plot would feel like, “character gets cursed, character deals with curse, character accidentally breaks curse, the end.” That is very unsatisfying. The whole point should surely be that the character has to work to break the curse, and in so doing learns and develops. As for whether he succeeds in breaking the curse, that depends on what you want him to learn. If you want him to learn to overcome the curse, then he should break it somehow. If you want him to learn to live with it, then he should fail in breaking it but learn something through trying which helps him to live with it.

izzybot likes this.
  3. halisme

halisme Contributor Contributor

If you're after a contemporary novel with a young protagonist who is cursed to have bad luck to serve as inspiration, I'd suggest Holes.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holes_(novel)