1. deadrats

deadrats Contributor Contributor

Netflix

Discussion in 'Entertainment' started by deadrats, Aug 3, 2023.

What are you binge watching on Netflix? I've tried a bunch of series lately, but they've all disappointed after a few or several episodes. Looking for a series that doesn't turn stupid on me.

2. Greg the Parsnip

Greg the Parsnip New Member

I’m afraid that I won’t be much help here, as I just canceled all my entertainment app subscriptions - I had Paramount +, Fubo TV, Netflix, Hulu, ESPN, Disney, Showtime, Max, Apple TV, Pluto TV, Tubi and Vudu. Never used or watched anything on those apps, over several years of subscribing.

I’m an old-timer (51). I want rabbit-ears back, dammit! Things and times were much better in the 70’s and 80’s. Hollywood was better - everything wasn’t so dumb. I liked when we had four channels to choose from - ABC, PBS, CBS and NBC. That was IT.

Like Walter Cronkite would say - that’s the way it is and these times are what they are - an Idiocracy.

Enough ranting - I think you get the gist.

- Grogu

deadrats, Xoic and Seven Crowns like this.
  3. J.T. Woody

J.T. Woody Book Witch Contributor

I binged Outlast and The Night Agent.

Outlast is a survival 8 episode show that drops 16 strangers in the middle of Alaska with the basic necessities to survive (tarp, fire starter, bow & arrows, hatchet, and bear spray). Every so often, a helicopter will air drop them something to help them... like crab traps and a rubber inner tube to help build a raft to go fishing, for example. Each person also gets a flair gun. If they have an emergency or need to tap out at any time, they shoot the flair and emergency crew comes.
    Basically, they have to outlast each other. I was glued to it. its really surprising what people turn in to when they have limited resources and are dropped in the wilderness. I honestly though giving them weapons was a bad idea because of how ruthless they got WITH EACH OTHER(the dark part of my mind saw them trying to kill each other...)

The Night Agent is based off of a book by Matthew Quirk. I dont typically watch action thrillers.... but i gravitated toward it because in the trailer, I saw they were in the DC subway station that I recognized. So i had that pull of "HEY! THATS HOME!!" kind of reaction. So i watched it, and, like Outlast, was glued to every episode.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2023
    deadrats and Set2Stun like this.
  4. J.T. Woody

J.T. Woody Book Witch Contributor

Then, if you're looking for a drama... I binged All-American. Its a HS sports drama about football. lol, the characters (and writers) are very self aware and made a "Friday Night Lights" joke a couple of times.
    Anyway, the crux of it is a fish-out-of-water scenario. Kid from the "wrong side of the tracks" gets picked up by a coach from Beverly Hills and transfers to a HS in Beverly Hills. He has to adjust to the "culture" of his new school and classmates, as well as try to get a college scholarship so he can get out of his neighborhood for good.

It has some very strong character arcs! You got drug addict sister, the brother thats craves approval from his father/coach, the best friend who joins a gang, the rich girl who is dead inside, the party boy, the recently poor kid. It makes you care about them and a couple of times, i found myself tearing up. As far as HS sports dramas go, this is a good one. Its spin off series (Homecoming).... not so much.

deadrats likes this.
  5. w. bogart

w. bogart Contributor Contributor Blogerator

Not Netflix, but Bosch on prime is good. Based on the book series about a homicide detective with a passion for cold cases. Surprisingly the PC garbage was kept to a minimum.

deadrats likes this.
  6. Not the Territory

Not the Territory Contributor Contributor Contest Winner 2023

Haven't had the 'flix in a while, but I did binge Midnight Mass and The Silent Sea back in the day. Didn't regret it.

J.T. Woody and deadrats like this.
  7. Set2Stun

Set2Stun Rejection Collector Contributor Contest Winner 2023 Contest Winner 2022

Currently Reading::
    The Road - Cormac McCarthy
    I'm sure you've heard of Black Mirror. They're all self-contained episodes, ranging from 40 to 90 minutes. Almost exclusively speculative fiction, with plenty of relevant and often scathing social satire. It can be a bit hit or miss, so if you're short on time, you can probably look up an online guide to the best episodes, or consult people who have enjoyed the series. Some very high highs here. Fifteen Million Merits was the episode which ensured that I would watch every single release from the show after that point (this was the second episode of the first series. I tell everyone to skip the first episode as it can be a bit off-putting). My next favourite is the premiere episode of season 4, USS Callister. It feels like it could've had a theatrical release. It's an especially enjoyable experience if you happen to be a big fan of Star Trek.

Another great series is Altered Carbon, but it was not renewed, which stinks. Still worth watching imo.

For shorts, Love, Death + Robots is something to behold. Many different writers, directors, voice actors, and animation styles are on display here. Very wide variety of topics and content. And, well, most of it is speculative fiction.

Have I mentioned that I am a big fan of spec-fic/sci-fi ?

J.T. Woody and deadrats like this.
  8. Le Panda Du Mal

Le Panda Du Mal Contributor Contributor

I binged the Chinese fantasy soap opera Eternal Love (the Chinese title translates to the poetic but unwieldy Three Miles, Three Loves, Ten Miles of Peach Blossoms). 58 episodes of gods, immortals, fox spirits, and demons fighting and falling in and out of love. It is completely escapist and I found it highly entertaining.