1. Louanne Learning

Louanne Learning Happy Wonderer Contributor Contest Winner 2023 Contest Winner 2022

Numbers in dialogue

Discussion in 'Dialogue Development' started by Louanne Learning, Jun 29, 2022.

Do you write out numbers in dialogue?

1) "That will be $250," he said.

OR

2) "That will be two hundred and fifty dollars," he said.

How about years?

1) "I was born in the year 1994," she said.

OR

2) "I was born in the year nineteen-ninety-four," she said.

2. SapereAude

SapereAude Contributor Contributor

I write out numbers in dialogue. I don't know if there's a rule -- that's my rule.

Other than in dialogue, I follow the standard rule that numbers from one to ten are spelled out, and numbers greater than ten are written as numerals.

Louanne Learning likes this.
  3. little miss impatient

little miss impatient Banned

In dialogue it depends on character and voice. I'd personally say a fiver instead of £5, but the character might insist on five pounds please.

4. SapereAude

SapereAude Contributor Contributor

I didn't think the Chicago Manual of Style would have an entry on this -- but it does.

CMOS, 16th edition

So, in essence, it's a "soft" rule rather than a hard rule. Exercise your own "editorial discretion."

Fervidor, Set2Stun, AntPoems and 3 others like this.
  5. evild4ve

evild4ve Critique is stranger than fiction Supporter Contributor

[QUOTE="Louanne Learning, post: 1967132, member: 109285"

1) "That will be $250," he said.
    2) "That will be two hundred and fifty dollars," he said.

[/QUOTE]

On this one there is more than one way the person can say $250, which can affect how the reader is to interpret the character and the scene. But with dates the speakers don't/can't vary the pronunciation or phrasing much. Less information is lost in 1984 than $1984

However, if there is a rapid argument with two characters haggling over the small change, clarity takes priority, and probably the speakers would use standard speech at these points too

AntPoems and Louanne Learning like this.
  6. Set2Stun

Set2Stun Rejection Collector Contributor Contest Winner 2023 Contest Winner 2022

Currently Reading::
    The Road - Cormac McCarthy
    Yeah, I would go with, "it depends," when it comes to dialogue, but I would lean heavily towards writing out the numbers. If it's a narrator, or third-person description of facts, typing out 1994 or $250 is most appropriate:
    I skimmed through the ad. $250 was the price.

In dialogue, there's much more to consider, most of all the character saying it.

"Two-fifty," he replied.
    "Nineteen aught six, dagnabbit!!"
    "Two hundred freaking million, can you believe it?"

Mogador and Louanne Learning like this.
  7. FFBurwick

FFBurwick Member

I just spell out the numbers for those short ones, in writing and in dialogue. I find I use large numbers quite often, and consistency and convenience call for numerals to be written for those, that are three or more different digits.

8. Fervidor

Fervidor Senior Member

As a rule of thumb, I would spell out the number unless there's a reason not to. Using actual numbers in casual dialogue tends to look wrong and amateurish (example: "I have 2 cats") so I'd make a point to always write them as words for the sake of consistency.

Exceptions would be years and specific terms/names that include numbers in their official spelling, like "T-800" or "R2-D2." I don't think I'd use numbers for sums of money, however.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2022
  9. Mogador

Mogador Senior Member

I have that rule as spell out one to twelve, then use numerals for 13+. But who's counting.

dbesim and Louanne Learning like this.
  10. MWB

MWB Active Member Contest Winner 2023

I've always understood it to be; dialogue spells numbers, narration does not.

"It was already two in the morning when I got back from the club and I only had ten dollars left in my pocket," he said

It was already 2 a.m. when he got back from the club and he only had $10 left in his pocket.​

No idea where I got that 'rule of thumb' from though...