1. DarkWoods

DarkWoods Active Member

What are the categories of horror stories?

Discussion in 'Horror' started by DarkWoods, Oct 7, 2021.

Do you know the different categories of horror stories? For example, slasher, gothic and zombies stories are some of them. What are the other types and is there one type you prefer?

2. marshipan

marshipan Contributor Contributor

Creature feature, survival, science fiction, cosmic, extreme/splatterpunk, psychological, comedy, folk... Doubt I could name them all without sitting down to do some research.

Don't know if I have a favorite type but there are definitely some that attract me less. Cosmic horror is too abstract for me to visualize/enjoy. Psychological horror can be a bit too grim/relatable and also abstract. Some splatterpunk isn't enjoyable to me, it really depends on the author.

DarkWoods likes this.
  3. DarkWoods

DarkWoods Active Member

Thanks for replying.

What is splatterpunk exactly? Never heard of that word.

For me, I really like the psychological horror, true crime horror but I hate everything related to comedy.

4. marshipan

marshipan Contributor Contributor

Splatterpunk is extreme horror. Meaning it's very graphic, generally gory, and can involve lots of sexual content (though not always). The aim of the story is to disturb you. Sometimes it's done very effectively but sometimes it's just too sensationalist in my opinion. When it's well done it's intense. When it's not well down then it reads like someone just writing the most extreme things they can think of and hoping it bothers you. Clive Barker and Jack Ketchum are known as popular splatterpunk writers.

Horror comedy is one of my favorites! Though, thinking about it... I guess I wouldn't classify it as horror. Seems like it's genre is comedy first, with horror themes.

Josephine Duke and DarkWoods like this.
  5. NobodySpecial

NobodySpecial Contributor Contributor

Pretty much the same as any of the other genres.... 'Wow, that was awesome', 'It was alright', and 'Good lord, who do I see about getting my money back?' Whatever variety of horror you choose to work in, read lots of it, learn the conventions, and then make yours unique. But always remember those three classifications, and put out the best you got.

DarkWoods likes this.
  6. Xoic

Xoic Prognosticator of Arcana Ridiculosum Contributor Blogerator

A splatterpunk film I enjoyed quite a bit is The Woman, based on a story written by Jack Ketchum:

I seem to be including videos in each of my posts today, weird.

DarkWoods likes this.