1. Christopher Snape.

Christopher Snape. Member

Writing about your own dreams - fiction or nonfiction?

Discussion in 'Genre Discussions' started by Christopher Snape., Jan 27, 2015.

Recently the idea of a dream diary or 'dream in review' sprang to my mind. I've had rather vivid nightmares of late, and logging them in the form of narratives seemed like an ideal step forward in my writing hobby. But would they be considered fiction; created in my own mind, or nonfiction; scenarios I've experienced even if they aren't real in the traditional sense?

2. Megalith

Megalith Contributor Contributor

Lol. I guess sit would be fiction still. I'd hate to think the werewolves and vampires from your dream would be labeled as non-fiction. That might get some kiddies more excited than necessary.

3. theoriginalmonsterman

theoriginalmonsterman Pickle Contributor

Dreams are sadly fiction... but sometimes they become non-fiction ;)

4. Chinspinner

Chinspinner Contributor Contributor

Just running with this idea for a moment, what if your protagonist was addicted to those dream analysis books, and each morning they analysed the symbols in their dreams and acted out their day accordingly. At first the dreams would just be a reflection of their life, their brain trying to make sense of things during sleep; but then as they changed their routine or behaviour in response to their dreams these dreams would start to become a catalyst.

But then the next nights dreams would be a reaction to their behaviour of the preceding day; and so things would swiftly spiral out of control as their dreams become both the response to and the reason for all their actions. They would start to question their free-will, or whether their own mind was conspiring against them. They would seem trapped in an ever decreasing circle into madness. Just an idea.

peachalulu and Shadowfax like this.
  5. theoriginalmonsterman

theoriginalmonsterman Pickle Contributor

For some reason this post reminded me of this:

6. DennisWillis12

DennisWillis12 New Member

Writing about your dreams is really a good idea in which a writer can write about his dreams. I was writing my dreams on diary from many years this habit will give a satisfaction and peace to my mind. Whenever I read my diary I really feel fresh and boost myself from inside.

7. plothog

plothog Contributor Contributor

I think it depends how you present it.

If you write I dreamt I was flying through a cloud of purple bunny rabbits, that could be none-fiction. (If that's what you actually dreamt)

If you write I flew through a cloud of purple bunny rabbits, that would be fiction.

8. Shadowfax

Shadowfax Contributor Contributor

Super idea for something really dark!

9. Christopher Snape.

The former is what I was thinking of. I don't think I explained it well enough in my opening post: I'm not speaking of solely getting inspiration from my dreams - although that is a good idea on its own - but literally transcribing what I remember dreaming and adding extra thoughts/analysis of why certain things may of happened.

Two vivid dreams I've had recently happened on neighbouring nights, and both involved a mishmash of film plots experienced by my former classmates and myself. Quite odd considering I don't watch movies that often.

With this format it's only natural than the 'stories' themselves will be extremely surreal and lack much of a point, but it's mostly an experiment.

10. kfmiller

kfmiller Active Member

@theoriginalmonsterman that is the most amazing thing my eyes have ever seen.

I think it would be pretty cool to make a fiction book out of your dreams.

I couldn't see that working as a non-fiction because it would basically be a dream journal and who would buy that? Unless you are a legit educated psychologist and are then analyzing your dreams- I don't see the hook. Everyone has crazy dreams, ya know. I mean, when you're pregnant- you can have the most vivid sex dreams, it's crazy. I can't think of too many dreams that would top those.

Dunning Kruger likes this.
  11. Dunning Kruger

Dunning Kruger Active Member

There's this whole genre called erotica. Nobody there cares whether its a dream or not. Just whether its vivid...:)

12. 123456789

123456789 Contributor Contributor

Holy shit, now THAT would have been a movie.

13. Christopher Snape.

Oh, it was for a personal experiment, not to be published. I wanted a new form of mental exercise because I seem to have gotten writer's block as of late.

14. Poet of Gore

Poet of Gore Member

well, lets think about this logically. dreams are a product of you imagination. now, are stories that are a product of your imagination fiction or non fiction?

15. tonguetied

tonguetied Contributor Contributor

I don't think it is that simple. I certainly hope MLK's "I have a dream" speech is not considered fiction. If I make a to-do list is that fiction? I think the original question is a philosophical question and Chinspinner's statement is an interesting possibility of reality. Although I have solved problems while I am asleep, I really don't feel that I control my dreams whereas I do feel that I control my imagination.

16. DaveOlden

DaveOlden Member

Dreams are invented narratives, so I guess that means fiction. But they are about the dreamer, built from one's own significant experiences and memories, so that makes them autobiographical. (A story about the storyteller is autobiography, right?).

So I call dreams "Autobiographical Fictions."

17. DaveOlden

DaveOlden Member

Depends when you ask. The moment you write it, a to-do list is Speculative Fiction (hasn't happened yet). As you complete its tasks, it becomes Historical Record.

Wow, you're a prophet. ;)

18. CGB

CGB Active Member

Well my dreams would be too boring for the average reader... You always start taking melatonin every night since it increases frequency of lucid dream states.