1. jelinekjava415

jelinekjava415 New Member

"Choke"

Discussion in 'Discussion of Published Works' started by jelinekjava415, Mar 24, 2011.

By Chuck Palahniuk is a great read so far....not very far into it, but I can say that it is a page turner. I have seen the movie, which was hilarious with a mixture of confusion as well. I know bad, to say that I have seen the movie before reading the book.

Has anyone else read it?
    What did you think of it?
    Have you read any other books by this other?
    Are there other books out there like what Chuck writes?

2. Xander

Xander New Member

I read it.
    I loved it.
    I read Fight Club and Invisible Monsters, loved Fight Club.
    I think in my opinion Charles Bukowski is kinda similar. I prefer Bukowski a lot, differant but similar too. The styles look very differant, but they are both very gritty authors and both authors are witty and funny too.

Check out Women or Post Office by Bukowski.

3. Rainer

Rainer Member

Choke is hilarious. Near the end he meets woman who wants him to pretend-rape her and it's one of the best chapters of any book ever. I've read Snuff by him which is pretty weird. Strange concept but pretty funny. I have Haunted on my shelf too but I've not read it yet. Can't wait to read the story which has made people faint at his readings.

The only author I've found similar to him is Bret Easton Ellis.

4. jelinekjava415

jelinekjava415 New Member

I have not read any other books by Chuck. He seems like a great writer though. I have seen the movie Fight Club! That is a great one, had no idea that he wrote that book too! Dang! I will have to check out both authors that you guys have provided for me! Thanks! :)

5. sereda008

sereda008 Member

I have tried watching the movie yesterday on sky but got so bored that I ended up deleting in after watching the first 15 minutes.

6. estrangedjane

estrangedjane New Member

The movie is atrocious, which is my main motivation for reading the book. It is currently on my 'to read list', I have three other books I need to finish before I can move onto this one, lol. I have read invisible monsters by palahniuk. It was amazing. Horrifying. Grotesque. Nonsensical. Ridiculous. But amazing.

also, can't wait to read bukwoski.. I'll be devastated if I find out my university doesn't stock him.

7. Spaceman Spiff

Spaceman Spiff New Member

I've read almost all of Palahniuk's books, I used to love him as an author. That's not to say that I don't still like his writing, but it doesn't appeal to me as it once did. Once I started readingmore advanced authors, his writing lost its charm to me and didn't grab me easily as it used to. I still really like certain aspects of his writing, but, on the whole, he just doesn't really do it for me anymore.

If you haven't read his book Survivor, I strongly suggest you do so.