1. Justin Rocket 2

Justin Rocket 2 Contributor Contributor

When is exposition still just exposition?

Discussion in 'Word Mechanics' started by Justin Rocket 2, Jul 21, 2016.

A big rule that I believe in is avoiding exposition, especially in the beginning of a story.
    But, I stumbled across a point where I don't know if the rule applies.
    When you are writing in first person, does talking to the reader to inform them count as exposition?

For example

Kent Rask and Torsten Anderson were already dead before we realized that somebody is trying to kill us. They were the ones who found the shield a month ago at the dig site outside of Oslo.
    Today, I turn fifteen. It looks like I'm going to celebrate my birthday by breaking into the doctor's office and stealing his research notes and the artifact. After that, we 're going into hiding.

2. Sal Boxford

Sal Boxford Senior Member

So far as the example you gave goes, I'm not sure I'd think of this as exposition. Maybe it's the voice, maybe it's that it's only a couple of sentences (so doesn't feel like an info dump), but mostly I think it's that it's posing more questions than it answers.

I reckon the way you present exposition is probably more important than exactly where in story it occurs... but maybe that's the question you're asking?