1. Liuqahs15

Liuqahs15 New Member

Who's Your Greatest Influence?

Discussion in 'Discussion of Published Works' started by Liuqahs15, May 5, 2010.

Now this might be a question that has some widely varying answers, I think, as writing spans a wide field. But whether you mostly do fiction, nonfiction, lyrics, poems, or anything else, it'd be pretty hard to imagine that your style doesn't at least remotely take after someone else's that you admired.

As for my lyrics, I have two great influences: Elliott Smith and La Dispute.

For my fiction, I take after both Cormac McCarthy and Jack Kerouac (strange mix, I know).

But what about you guys?

2. Gigi_GNR

Gigi_GNR Guys, come on. WAFFLE-O. Contributor

Lyrics: The Beatles. OH YES. :love: :D

Writing: Poe (mostly, although there are some others--can't think of them right now!)

3. thirdwind

thirdwind Member Contest Administrator Reviewer Contributor

When I was younger I used to really like Arthur Conan Doyle and H.G. Wells. A lot of my stories from around 5-6 years ago are heavily influenced by those two. Now my main influence is Hemingway. I love his minimalist style and what it can accomplish.

4. Banzai

Banzai One-time Mod, but on the road to recovery Contributor

Hmmm, an interesting question.

I think there are probably a few writers who inspired me. I think the first author who made me want to write, was Anne McCaffrey (who I doubt any of you will be familiar with).

Other than her, I think I've been influenced a lot by: Edgar Allan Poe, HP Lovecraft, Stephen King, Phillip K. Dick, Robert Heinlein, etc.

More recently, I think I've been influenced a lot by the likes of Joe Hill, Gary McMahon, Damien Green and other current writers of horror and sci-fi.

5. Lemex

Lemex That's Lord Lemex to you. Contributor

I was influanced to write by Poe, Frost, King and Lovecraft mostly. Now I'm more alike Pynchon, Delillo, Hemmingway or Rushdie I find.

6. arron89

arron89 Banned

I'm another Hemingway kid. Also Katherine Mansfield and Bret Easton Ellis. Weird mix, but it works for me.

7. Eunoia

Eunoia Contributor Contributor

I really have no idea. Probably a bit of every author's work I've read. But I suppose my earlier writing when I was younger, and maybe even what I write now, is most influenced by Enid Blyton and Jacqueline Wilson. As for what I write now, I don't know. I read so much and I can't pick out one or two authors that have influenced me - I think every book I've read has in some way.

8. Halcyon

Halcyon Contributor Contributor

Basically, every novel that I've ever read that was good enough to make me retain some fond memory of it. :)

9. RedRaven

RedRaven Active Member

God, this is a tough one.
    I think I would include Stephen King, Cormac McCarthy, Bradbury, and all those brilliant children's books I've read, because they might not influence my writing now, but they have created the need and want to write.

But I do get something out of everything I read. Be it good or bad. Like What Not To Wear, I too am careful of How Not To Write :D

10. garmar69

garmar69 Contributor Contributor

I would have to say Stephen King.
    Really? I love her. The Freedom series is outstanding.

11. Sabreur

Sabreur Contributor Contributor

At the combination pizza hut and taco bell
    Dragon Riders of Pern, man.

Anyways, I like to think I'm influenced by Hemingway, McCarthy, bad country music and b-movies. ;)

12. Afterburner

Afterburner Active Member

Gah, I have no idea. I like to write mostly sci-fi and fantasy, so I guess for me, some of my influences would be:

J.R.R. Tolkein
    Isaac Asimov
    Star Wars as a series in general

Basically, I've been inspired by the works that I aspire to recreate.

13. Speedy

Speedy Contributor Contributor

J.R.R. Tolkein

Stephen King; The Dark Tower series [first 4] (Which his dark Tower series was inspired by The Lord of the Rings).

Mary Shelley - Frankenstein

Cormac McCathy

Joe Hill (For showing you can be better than your father if you simplify and don't spit crap out. A true story teller)

Peter F. Hamilton - (For making me discover Space Opera and some of the most awesome/lovable characters)

H. P. Lovecraft

George R. R. Martin (Thank you for showing that fantasy can still be a little cliche, but style, class and a great talent will always shine.)

Lyrically; Nevermore, My Dying bride. The later especially can last all day in my mind after a quick listen through, helping me master some low writing points.

14. Peerie Pict

Peerie Pict Contributor Contributor

Life influences: Eddie Izzard tickles my humourous side. I'm actually obsessed with him. Hmm. musically, Nina Simone.. and Radiohead (weird combination I know)

In terms of literature, the spirit of my writing is most influenced by Haruki Murakami. I also love John Updike. Ralph Ellison, Pat Barker and Sylvia Plath. I adore Natsuo Kirino just now too.

15. Banzai

Banzai One-time Mod, but on the road to recovery Contributor

Weird unrelated fact: there are rumours going around that he'll be the next Labour candidate for London Mayor.

16. Peerie Pict

Peerie Pict Contributor Contributor

Woah!

I heard he was on the Labour campaign trail so it might be true. I wouldn't be surprised if he moved into politics. Looks like he can do anything he puts his mind to.

17. Jobeykobra

Jobeykobra New Member

Bret Easton Ellis is my main influence. He got me to realize present tense in the first person works naturally for me. Chuck Palahniuk, Hemingway, F. Scott Fitzgerald and Hunter S. Thompson could be considered some other influences.

18. Roland of Gilead

Roland of Gilead New Member

Neil Gaiman. Though I must admit a lot of my influences come from outside of standard literature.

19. MissBelle

MissBelle New Member

Richard Brautigan

"Probably the closest things to perfection are the huge absolutely empty holes that astronomers have recently discovered in space. If there's nothing there, how can anything go wrong?"

Oh and Quentin Tarantino

"A writer should have this little voice inside of you saying, Tell the truth. Reveal a few secrets here. "

20. Magix1reaper

Magix1reaper New Member

This may sound strange but I was inspired more by video games to write. I liked making up stories and I thought certain video games had good ones. I was a gamer before I ever read books :)

I would say everything and anything I've read would give me a bit of inspiration as well. I can't point out necessarily anything specific.

21. Lemex

Lemex That's Lord Lemex to you. Contributor

He really is a good writer, I can call him an influance on me too.

As with Cormac McCarthy.

22. Sulac Sol

Sulac Sol New Member

Hmm. George R.R Martin's my role-model, as is Stephen King, but my primary influence on my writing would have to be R.A Salvatore. I love his absurdly well-written fight sequences, something I can only hope to try and become half as good at.

23. Mantha Hendrix

Mantha Hendrix New Member

Northern Ireland... the place I've taken for grant
    I too, have a minor Tarantino obsession... but I wouldn't say he's an influence.

Probably the TV show lost has had a major influence on me, seeing as it's what I grew up with... and not long from now it will be over.

24. Gigi_GNR

Gigi_GNR Guys, come on. WAFFLE-O. Contributor

George Orwell is also an influence to me, as is Oasis.

25. squire848

squire848 New Member

Since I was very small I would say Oscar Wilde, he had a beautiful way of writing the English language.
    With poetry it would be Patrick Kavanagh. Although I don't write poetry his poems alone inspire my own writing at times.