Tags:
  1. Link the Writer

Link the Writer Flipping Out For A Good Story. Contributor

Wow, Mr. Parrish, you know this random kid? And now you're letting him live with you?

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by Link the Writer, Jan 17, 2011.

And now for something a bit more happier than the last thread I posted here about a psycho named Arlisha. :D

Anyway, this concerns a scene in the first book of my Colonial Detective series. The protagonist, Amos Garnier (who's a blind French orphan, remember. Living in a largely loyalist town.) has been found lying on the side of the road unconsious, bruised, and beaten.

Although Amos isn't consious of it while happening, a carriage goes by him when suddenly, it stops because a man by the name of Mister Howard Parrish literally jumps out and runs to the boy.

Now, at first I assumed that this was because Mr. Parrish was a doctor and he's not gonna walk by a clearly injured person, but the dude's a lawyer.

Howard's actions leads me to believe that he wants to have Amos live in the Parrish household instead of the tavern. (of course, this happens over a period of time, spanning a few more books. His initial reaction is to nurse Amos back to health before sending him off to his tavern home.)

I'm having trouble explaining that to myself. Why would he do this? Why would he care about some random boy on the streets to the point of letting the boy live under the same roof? I can sense that Mr. Parrish is a key figure in Amos life, someone beyond just a "token nice guy who cares for Amos". He literally becomes Amos' second father-figure.

I hesitate to use cliches like he knew Amos' parents or Amos himself. In truth, he doesn't know Amos at all.

2. Melzaar the Almighty

Melzaar the Almighty Contributor Contributor

Well, I suppose because he stopped to help him, he'd clearly a kind soul... He'd get to know him while he's nursing him back to health, and I suppose even after he lets him go back, they're gonna be friends. It's up to character development and so on to build the bond.

Perhaps he lost a kid himself so he feels attached... Perhaps the kid was about the same age as Amos? I dunno :p

3. FrankABlissett

FrankABlissett Active Member

I don't see that as so unusual. Well, not usual, but not untoward.

Look how many kind-hearted parents let their child's friends sleep on the couch for an indefinite period rather than stay in the streets.

If we lived in a more populated area (and there were no child protective services for us to turn to), I'm certain my SO would bring a stream of troubled youths into our home. That's just the sort she is.

As for your story, he can be as important or unimportant, as beneficent or malevolent as you need. I don't think the basic act of taking the boy in is unbelievable.

-Frank

-Frank

4. Anonym

Anonym New Member

Your wording confuses me a little, but perhaps Amos reminds Parrish of himself when he was young? E.g. An orphan, disable in someway, disadvantaged, ect. Seems plausible.

5. Jonalexher

Jonalexher New Member

It could work if he did it for no specific reason whatsoever. The guy is just a really nice one. I like the story, btw :]!

6. Link the Writer

You all are absolutely right! Maybe he just does it because he's that damned nice and Amos reminds him of his past.

I'm not arguing Mr. Parrish's decency or kindness. I know he'd totally do something like that.

Oy, I really ought to at least think about it first before I post it on a fourm.

7. McNelty

McNelty New Member

You might've already solved this one for yourself, but depending on Parrish's age, he could've had a son (either Amos's age or younger) who died and Amos plucks on that string in Parrish's heart.
    ...Or is that too gimmicky?

I kind of like the idea of the guy just doing it because he would do it. You might even have Amos question his actions:
    "Why are you letting me stay with you?"
    "Why not?"

8. Link the Writer

Heh, I like that. I can see Amos asking him that.

And interestingly enough, I did consider that maybe Mr. Parrish had a daughter (blind or not, who knows) that died when she was very young (and she was the youngest of the four Parrish children). Amos reminds him of her and wants to make up for not helping her more when she needed it.

It'd probably be better if he's a doctor instead. That way it could act as a gut punch. He had all the medical tools, but he wasn't able to save his own child. He could see that as a failure on two levels.