1. CitadelCore

CitadelCore New Member

Character who had his life changed in an instant?

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by CitadelCore, Mar 10, 2017.

Hi,
    I'm writing a novel in which the main character finds out he's an android early on. I'm trying to find a good way to portray his throughts from a first-person perspective while also keeping his emotions consistent with that of real life - how do you suggest I do this? What would be someone's normal reaction to something like this?

2. Forinsyther

Forinsyther Member

It depends on what kind of personality he has. Is he open to expressing his emotions? Or is he stubborn? Does he try to stay strong all the time? Because I think if he had the personality of someone who tries to keep a brave face, his reaction would be something like horrified, but he quickly tries to accept it, despite it being such a difficult thing to do. He doesn't want to get upset about it, so he tries to distract himself. He'll inspect the differences now forced upon him, but refuse to dwell on it enough to see how drastic it is.
    If this isn't what you're looking for, let me know, I'll try and help :)

I.A. By the Barn likes this.
  3. JE Loddon

JE Loddon Active Member

What would YOUR reaction be? Try and think of situations where you've gotten terrible news. What are the stages? First of all, you hope it's a mistake. It isn't really true. Then, you justify to yourself why it can't be true. As it starts to really sink in, you feel turmoil inside. Panic attacks, nausea. Anger comes after that. Whose fault is it? Why didn't they tell me sooner? Then, maybe relief. I always knew there was something different about me. I thought I wasn't normal, and I couldn't understand it. Now I know why. It wasn't my fault, I really WAS different. I'm absolved of the responsibility for not fitting in. Then, at the other end, you come out of it. Either tormented permanently because of what you are, or embracing the fact you are an android. That's what you are. And, you strive to make a life for yourself.

4. CitadelCore

CitadelCore New Member

Thanks for your help! I'll try and implement these suggestions on top of what I already have - they sound perfect for my character's personality.
    In reply to you Forinsyther: I think he would also feel a bit intimidated as his "reveal" is committed around a large conference table with many important-looking people.

5. Forinsyther

Forinsyther Member

Oh wow, this story sounds really interesting, I would love to read some day :)