1. Benjiman

Benjiman New Member

Short Story Short Story to kick off a series

Discussion in 'Genre Discussions' started by Benjiman, Nov 22, 2018.

I'm thinking of doing a fantasy series and was wondering if just doing a short story to start it was a good idea, I was thinking it would take less time, could introduce characters without having to worry about overall plot and if people don't like it, it wouldn't be a waste of time like a huge novel, Thoughts?

2. Artifacs

Artifacs Senior Member

I think it is a good idea for probing the general plot and characters that one have in mind. Specially if those aren't very clear at first. A short story can help to clarify doubts or discover subplots you may use later in the novel.
    Sometimes I like to start a short story from scratch and see what comes out.

3. exweedfarmer

exweedfarmer Banned Contributor

Yeah, it couldn't hurt. The more you write, the better writer you'll be. Go for it.

4. Hammer

Hammer Moderator Staff Supporter Contributor

Let me stop you there...

Plot is even more important in a short. Y0u may not have time for complicated sub-plots and twists, but your readers definitely want to know that they have read a story not just an introduction to a few characters.

That said, shorts do generally take less time and so, yeah, you can get measurable results more quickly. I am planning a few shorts with some of the characters from my novels as "give-aways" to try to show readers what they might expect if they commit to buying the novel (c:

Artifacs likes this.
  5. deadrats

deadrats Contributor Contributor

So, I wrote a failure of a short story. It was one I spent a lot of time with and really tried to make work. But I wanted it to work as a short story. Anyway, a few years later I started my novel and I worked a few things from that story as a spring board. It wasn't the same story and I never tried to make it such. A character that was mentioned, but never made an actual appearance in the short story became a main character in the novel. I took another character from the short story, but allowed myself to write that character completely differently. I had a new focus. A novel focus. POV is completely different. The story occasion from the short story isn't even a part of the novel. I think there can be something to learn from this. But you've got to really give the short story a hard try and be willing to scrap 99 percent of it when it comes to the novel. That's my experience with it. And it took a really long time before I even thought about writing this novel. I am a short story writer by trade.

Artifacs likes this.