1. Mallory

Mallory Contributor Contributor

Any fellow Bentley Little fans out there?

Discussion in 'Discussion of Published Works' started by Mallory, Dec 30, 2010.

I just finished reading "The Return" by Bentley Little. I won't give any spoilers for those who haven't read it, but Little is a great horror author. Better, in my opinion, than Stephen King. Has anyone else read his stuff?

2. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Contributor

I have two of his in my to-read pile, Mallory. Haven't read any of his yet, but I have heard good things.

3. Mallory

Which two?

I'd definitely recommend "The Return." I found it excellent.

While I love the horror genre, most of the time I prefer short horror stories over horror novels -- reason being that the short stories keep the horror all the way through, but in novels there's only a few parts that are truly scary. "The Return" was the exception. It kept me turning pages the whole way through and I actually kept my lights on all night a few times haha.

This was my first Bentley Little book. Needless to say, I will hunt for others.

4. Hollowly

Hollowly Member

I've been meaning to buy and read his book, "The Walking". But like you I prefer short horror stories. Though I don't believe Mr. Little has a collection does he? It's funny. I almost ordered his book yesterday. It's good to hear that he's, well, good. Especially that he may top Stephen King. Who did lots for the horror genre and all, but isn't a favorite.

5. Steerpike

I'll have to take a look, Mallory. My to-read pile is quite large - a stack of books I have taking up an area in a closet. I know Little is in there. Did he write one called "The Resort?" I think that is one of them.

6. Steerpike

It is The Resort.

I thought I had two, but now I only see the one. I may have loaned the other one out to someone and forgot about it.

7. Mallory

I looked at my local used bookstore and there weren't any more of his books. :/ It's okay, I'll look elsewhere. Steer, when you finish "The Resort," can you post or PM me a review? :)

8. OscarW

OscarW New Member

Mallory,

Funny, you just reviewed my story in the horror section and now I find out you're a Little fan. He is by far my favorite writer regardless of genre. His most popular book is The Ignored. I tend to like his books that focus on things going on in society like The Store, The Association and The Academy. Others are just pure terror, like The House and Death Instinct. He always does a great job at building suspense. While he isn't for everybody, I would suggest picking up some of his other books. You can find them all online at Amazon or at Borders.

He does have a collection of short stories in paperback called "The Collection." Seeing a theme here in the titles? They are well worth the read and he gives a background to each one of them. You even find out he was childhood friends with the guy that created Sponge Bob Squarepants.

Another funny tidbit about Little is that it was one of his books that Stephen King was reading when he was hit by a car back in 1999. Actually piqued a lot of people's interest in him when they found this out.

Anyone, have fun reading his books and send me a message if you have any questions about his books.

1 person likes this.
  9. Fiona

Fiona New Member

I'm actually just in the middle of reading Bentley's novel, Spirits, at the moment.
    I really loved it at the start - for some reason I'm reaching a bit of a "stuck" moment. Maybe it's the mental place I'm in because I am so engrossed in my own writing at the moment that I can't shut off from that.

But his work does look good.

10. Mallory

Oscar, nice to know you're also a fan. I just may have to PM you about his works.

Fiona, I'm super curious....what is "The Banishing" about? (It's not out til March, right?) Would you mind PMing me to let me know? I like supernatural horror.