1. Killer300

Killer300 Senior Member

Sci-Fi Calendar

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by Killer300, Jan 2, 2012.

I've hit a snag in what was otherwise a sic-fi story going very smoothly.:(

How does one develop a calendar for an alien species? Because I've figured out that this species has had civilization for like, 10,000 years ahead of humanity. Should I perhaps a similar BC/AD event?

Sorry if this sounds like a stupid question, just first time trying to write sci-fi of this type and... yeah.

2. LTC

LTC New Member

Maybe you should personalize the calendar with character traits of your species. Do they have holidays/festivals/ceremonies? Or perhaps religion or some set of beliefs? I recommend having them count down to something. Maybe they believe the world will go through a certain number of stages, and they count down their equivalent of years until the next phase, or the closest thing to a rapture, or something. What's their numerical system like?

3. Killer300

Killer300 Senior Member

Hmm. There is a space faring religion they have, and one that does involve the resurrection of a key figure, so perhaps they would have a BC/AD like split, although it will be further back than humanity's. Additionally, there is the stage thing, specifically two types actually, so...

Thanks, I think I have this figured out now much better.