1. _AB

_AB Member

Simpler things

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by _AB, Sep 27, 2015.

Hello

Where to start, really ??
    I guess I'll start from the beginning. My friends call me AB. I'm 25, living in Malaysia. For the past 6 years, I worked as a video game programmer. I Recently decided to make the switch to the mobile development field. I wrote my first game engine (a collection of programmable components that are used to make a game) when I was 18.

Unlike most of my peers, I try to employ a creative, rather than analytical, approach to problem solving. The problem I had with the game industry is that it was simply too hard to create a scene, let alone a believable interaction. The programmer has to worry about the physics of the world, light simulations, fluid simulation, AI behaviours, world orientation, cameras, character animations, etc. Just like directing a movie, creating a game is simply not a task to be taken lightly, or solely for that matter.

About a year ago, I was working on my own game project, titled "Dead Photography". The game was meant to be a horror first-person shooter game. After 4 months of grinding work, I simply couldn't continue it. The project was too big for one man to create it. I needed animators, content creators, music, sound, physics programmers, and much more.

What I really want to do is to have the ability to put the worlds, scenes, and ideas that I imagine in a work of fiction. I picked up a copy of Stephen King's "The Gunslinger" and immediately fell in love with writing. King was able to create extremely complex scenes with intricate, living characters using the simplest and most primitive form of storytelling -- words. Words have the ability to invoke and render scenery and emotion using the most complex graphics processor in existence -- the human mind.

I think I'll still work on my own game projects later on (maybe), and I don't really have any plans to become a full-time writer. My objective is to simply be able to tell a story and code :)

While it would always be a riveting experience to be immersed in a highly-realistic, high-budget game, I would always prefer the simpler things, like narration, characters, settings, and the freedom to live in the author's world without boundaries --or collision detection :)

Thanks for reading.

AB

Imaginarily likes this.
  2. Imaginarily

Imaginarily Disparu en Mer Contributor

*runs straight through you*

Sorry, I failed to detect collision. :bigwink:

Welcome to the forum! :-D

_AB likes this.
  3. _AB

_AB Member

hehe. Thanks. :)