1. Thomas Larmore

Thomas Larmore Senior Member

MFA?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Thomas Larmore, Jul 30, 2021.

I'm thinking of applying to a college to get an MFA in creative writing fiction. Does anyone have any advice or insight? I have a full-time job as a lawyer so I'd need to attend a college part-time and online. I'm located in Las Vegas, Nevada.

2. Bruce Johnson

Bruce Johnson Contributor Contributor Contest Winner 2023

I don't, but I'm curious as to what your goal is in getting an MFA? The experience? Wanting to switch careers?

3. EFMingo

EFMingo A Modern Dinosaur Supporter Contributor

Most of them are being cut from school programs online. I was originally going to do one at National University because I like their intensive speed, but had to switch to a MA in English with a specialization in Gothic Studies instead. I don't mind the switch, but it was a little irritating at first.

MFAs are geared toward refining your writing through intensive practice, usually completing with a culmination work that is a novel, short collection, or poetry book. The final goal is a publishable full-length work. It's not really a part-time gig. You're basically going to be moving high speed with a full-time job. It will be very rough. Trust me, my last three years have been powering through a BA and MA online. I'll be done in December though.

Nearly all of the schools have oddball requirements you have to watch out for, such as basically "try-out" courses as seen at Harvard, which I decided against due to added cost for nothing. There's also usually a twice annual workshop conference you will be required to attend at most schools. This is basically an intensive in-person workshop and seminar to make up for the lack of classroom experience and build connections. This was a factor at every school I looked at and couldn't be avoided. My work schedule wouldn't allow for that, so I passed on it.

If you have specific questions about the MFA or online school in general, let me know.