1. Jcrash

Jcrash New Member

I'm thinking about writing stories and books about how weed has helped me

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by Jcrash, Nov 26, 2007.

I'd just want to know if anyone here would be interested in witnessing my first attempt at writing narratives.

I've always found out that creative writing came naturally to me but after high school, when it wasn't required anymore, I sort of dropped it. :redface: So six years later; here I am starting the writing process.

Currently there are two stories I would like to work with. Would it be a good idea to write both of them at the same time? For example if I got bored with one, I would work on the other? Or should I just focus on them one at a time?

Material: I'm thinking about writing about would be about my battle with depression. I'd write about my personal first hand accounts, and another account for which style I can find no definition for right now...

Marijuana has helped me. I don't know any other way to say that. Marijuana has helped me...Along with an incredible individual in my life for who has revived me countless times; many of which she had no idea she did.

2. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

There is a fine line (or perhaps not so fine) between writing about the positive aspects of one having used drugs, and promoting the use of drugs.

I would personally find promotion of drug use moderately offensive, although it probably is not in and of itself a violation of the rules of the site. However, I would not even pretend to be able to give an unbiased review of such a work.

However, if the narrative were only describing the effect upon the narrator, and not as a testimonial to recommend drug use, I believe I could comment on it on the basis of the writing alone.

As for whether to work on one story in parallel with the other, that is a matter of personal writing style. Some people work better "tag-teaming" a couple pieces, others are better off plugging away at one to the exclusion of all else.

3. Jcrash

Jcrash New Member

I wouldn't directly promote its use or directly make it known what was happening. I was thinking about giving the act of smoking it an identity as an object, person, or another act that isn't so controversial.

The effects of the drug vary from person to person. I'd just like to cleverly disguise it.

4. mypensmysoul

mypensmysoul New Member

First of all, I recommend writing one story at a time. If you get bored with writing a story, chances are your readers will think so too. If you ever get bored with writing a story, abandon it. (Or at least put it on the back-burner.) With my experiences, I find that if I write more than one story at a time, they end up mirroring each other..and that's not what I want.

Secondly, I'm confused. Are you saying that weed has helped you with your writing, or with your depression? Because that actually is a fact; weed helps you with depression for a couple of months. However, the long-term affects of usage can actually make the user more depressed than when they started. That's what starts the addiction.

I wouldn't rule out the usage of weed in your writing; write what you know, I always say, but I wouldn't go around promoting elict activities. It just doesn't go over well with most people, as you might have been able to tell from Cogito's post. ..FYI, this is coming from a previous user, might I add.

5. Jaclyn

Jaclyn Active Member

I personally do not believe that there is anything wrong with promoting the use of marijuana and would be interested in reading your account of dealing with depression and how marijuana has helped you.