1. waitingforzion

waitingforzion Banned

Styles and Emulation

Discussion in 'Word Mechanics' started by waitingforzion, Dec 28, 2014.

When we read different books, we see that each author has a unique style. But what are the elements that comprise it? Does the style emerge through the author's tendency to use certain grammatical or syntactic patterns, or certain rhetorical devices? If one would seek to emulate a style from the past, and one has in view a piece written in that style, what characteristics of that piece should he pay attention to?

Last edited: Dec 28, 2014
  2. Hwaigon

Hwaigon Senior Member

Second to the right, and straight on till morning.
    I found this particularly enlightening:

https://www.writingforums.org/threads/how-to-glean-writing-tips-from-your-favorite-books.134933/

it broadly answers all of the points you bring up. Or so I believe. The elements/aspects that
    make for particular style are multiple, complex, interdependant. Style is one huge complex of how the writer describes scenes, what transitions he uses to shift focus from one onto the other, how (in)consistent he/she is whether and how much he uses exotic words etc.
    I think Peach summarizes it rather aptly in her post.