1. Cacian

Cacian Banned

The Different Types of Quests

Discussion in 'Word Mechanics' started by Cacian, Jan 17, 2012.

I find it quite confusing to chose between the word QUEST and EXPLORATION.

Apart from
    The Quest of the Holy Grail
    what else one could quest for?

This to help me rethink my two above words in capitals.
    For example is this expression
    the quest for freedom correct?

2. Corgz

Corgz New Member

I think 'quest' is like a journey to concour a goal, whereas exploration is simply exploring... You know, no distinct route whereas a quest, you must go to the holy temple and steel the prime ministers cow... you know.. casual stuff..

3. Cacian

Cacian Banned

true..I was also pondering that a quest is something that is not possibly attainable hence the Holy Grail.

4. Ziggy Stardust

Ziggy Stardust Active Member

No... the "Quest for the Holy Grail" relies on the Holy Grail actually existing.

A "quest" for "something that is not possibly attainable" is called a "wild goose chase". ;)

5. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

A quest is a journey with a specific goal. An exploration is a journey without a single objective other than the accumulationb of knowledge.

You could argur that an exploration is a quest for knowledge, but that's a fairly sloppy use of the term.

6. Cacian

Cacian Banned

that's right however the goal is never often reached hence my questioning over it.
    I am not clear on this.
    Exploring something like say the amazon is accumulating knowledge rather objects.
    A quest howver is usually searching for aobjects like the Holy Grail or a relics. Knowledge is already obtained as in we know what we are looking for hence the palpable object.

this could be right too...I am still thinking..

7. astrostu

astrostu New Member

Not sure this helps and it's possible I'm using the wrong terminology, but in one of my stories, the MCs are sent out on a very lengthy quest that they think has an end goal, but the actual goal is to familiarize themselves with everything they'll need to beat the bad guys at the end. Using the terminology above, they think they're on a quest, but I guess it's an actual exploration.

8. Cacian

Cacian Banned

I think you are right here, the only hitch is that it would be an exploration per say because it entails danger.
    I would propably quest as part dangerous because it is lenghty and exploration tend to be a lot safer because the explorer tend to be more knowledgable on the type of exploration they embark onto.
    Like a an archeologist exploring the remain of Atlantis.