1. Felipe

Felipe Active Member

A major twist, you never know when it will happen.

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by Felipe, Dec 28, 2011.

I was well under way with my last novel following a particular plot. I ran into a doctor that I know in Home Depot. He is a diver too and was in the special forces. I asked him what he was up to and he said, Deep, technical diving." I asked him how deep and he said 300 feet. I commented that was almost Newt Suit territory, then asked if it was a wreck.

He paused, smiled and said, "Yeah, that's all I can say."

This threw my mind into overdrive. What was an ex Navy Seal diving on that he couldn't discuss? something that the government had to disavow any knowledge of? This put a major twist into my book and set off a major subplot. Ideas are out there, everywhere.

2. agentkirb

agentkirb New Member

There are plenty of things that the government has to keep secret... not necessarily to citizens but to enemies of the US. It doesn't necessarily have to be some secret new underwater torture facility that they don't want us to know about. It could be something like a hidden underwater lab that would be vulnerable to enemies if they knew about it. I know that's on the other side of the ridiculousness spectrum but I'm just throwing things out there.

3. Felipe

Felipe Active Member

The fact that it was a wreck, but had to be kept quiet turned this book on it's head. I turned it into rogue agents high within the CIA fabricate orders and subvert a nuclear submarine on a secret mission. A SEAL team was to deploy Ebola virus into the water supply of Mexico forcing them to close the borders once and for all. the captain of the vessel has last minute regrets about the mission and drives the sub into a reef. Now, lying within the territorial waters of Mexico, it must be retrieved covertly.

Of course our hero blows the top off of the cover by reporting it to the Mexican government. This embroils our country into riots as the Mexicans protest this biological attack. The president being totally in the dark is in a really bad spot and needs some heads to hang on the wall.

4. agentkirb

agentkirb New Member

Wait... did this really happen or is this the story? Your first post I thought was something in real life that influenced you to write the story about it.

5. Felipe

Felipe Active Member

I was halfway through the book when I ran into the doctor. He was doing a covert, technical dive and is former special forces. I speculated the rest to give the plot another twist. I actually don't know why he was diving on a wreck and couldn't speak about it.

6. agentkirb

agentkirb New Member

Well yeah, obvoiusly secret government op is a better fiction story. I thought you were wondering what he was actually doing.

7. Jhunter

Jhunter Mmm, bacon. Contributor

He was just articulating another way that inspiration comes in many forms during our daily lives.

8. Felipe

Felipe Active Member

Exactly, when I'm writing I often incorporate things that really happen in our lives.