Tags:
  1. Gemima

Gemima New Member

The Anxious Wait

Discussion in 'Traditional Publishing' started by Gemima, Oct 27, 2018.

Hello there, i hope this is the right forum in which to post this question, but i'm just wondering if anyone else is in the same boat of anxiously awaiting responses to the submissions of their first novel (mine is women's fiction - romance)? If so, how are you feeling and how are you managing the wait? Also, if you've already been through this process what was your experience like? I initially made the rookie mistake of submitting too early thus receiving a very justified rejection. After a period of considerable editing i'm about as happy as I can be with what i've sent and have approached 2 further publishers (should I submit to more, or see how i go with responses, or lack of, and decide whether I should make changes first?). I don't have an agent and i'm applying solely to those seeking open submissions - traditional publishing and e-book only. As a distraction i've started a new project, novel no 3 to keep me busy... Any comments would be much appreciated thank you

Carriage Return likes this.
  2. Nariac

Nariac Contributor Contributor

You're approaching publishers without an agent? If I may ask, is there a reason you're not first trying to find an agent to represent you? Most publishers don't accept manuscripts from authors directly, so you're limiting your potential publisher pool if you don't seek agent representation.

3. Gemima

Gemima New Member

Hi Nariac, no not really but i am happy to try the agent route if need be. I suppose i'm just a little impatient! Maybe it's the genre i've written in, but there seems to be quite a lot of submission opportunities without an agent?

4. Nariac

Nariac Contributor Contributor

Well as long as there are opportunities, then you should be alright.

Gemima likes this.
  5. hyacinthe

hyacinthe Banned

I absolutely would not try to navigate a "boilerplate" contract from a romance publisher without an agent.

Romance traditional publishing, even with an agent, is high-effort and low return. Many publishers pay a pittance of an advance - if they pay any advance at all. The covers and marketing efforts are minimal. The deadlines are straight up exploitation. There is a reason why Romance is the #1 independently published genre--the conditions of working for a publisher are terrible. Unless you get a single-title trade paperback deal like Helen Hoang's The Kiss Quotient, they'll work you like a dog and pay you next to nothing.

I'm not saying don't do it. Just - you're much better off with an agent, even after all the downsides.

6. Carriage Return

Carriage Return Member

Last edited: Dec 31, 2018
    Gemima and matwoolf like this.
  7. Laurin Kelly

Laurin Kelly Contributor Contributor

I'm a romance writer without an agent as well - most of the publishers in my genre (LGBTQ romance; I personally focus on m/m) prefer to work directly with authors.

I was really spoiled with my first book. I submitted to my first (and current) publisher Less Than Three Press, and got an acceptance email and contract three days later! I still don't know what the hell was up with that, I've certainly not had anything accepted by them that quickly since. I think it was a weird coincidence of the right person reading the right story at the right time.

With my second book I was rejected by the editor of the collection I had submitted it for, but was encouraged to submit it as a general submission as a stand-alone book, which I did. I think the wait time on that one was a little over a month. Then I wrote a short story for an anthology that was about a 6 week wait; they didn't accept anything until the deadline had passed and all of the submissions were in. The last book I submitted was also rejected after a few weeks by the editor who reviewed it, but her bosses (the Editor in Chief and CEO) apparently felt differently and rescinded the rejection. I got a contract for that book a couple of months ago, and am waiting for my turn in the editing queue. So for me, publishing has been a heck of a roller-coaster, but ultimately a successful one.

I'm very happy with my publisher's efforts to market my books, as well as the royalties I receive. I don't make a living at writing, but that's not really my goal. I just want to sell some books to readers who will enjoy them, and maybe make their day a little bit more pleasant for having read them.

As far as submitting to multiple publishers, just make sure you read each one's guidelines, as some will not allow simultaneous submissions (it's the norm in my genre as far as I'm aware).

Welcome to the forums!

Gemima likes this.
  8. Laurin Kelly

This has not been my experience, nor the experience of the many other traditionally published Romance writers I know and network with on a regular basis. I don't feel exploited in the least by my publisher, who has always treated me extremely well and with the highest level of ethics. I'm certainly not "worked like a dog" - I don't even know what that would mean, unless an author's contract is for a series of books. I only contract for one already written book at a time, so I write at my own pace, which is roughly that of a glacier.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2018
  9. hyacinthe

hyacinthe Banned

That's fortunate. Many market 2 to 5 book series and aren't like that.

10. Laurin Kelly

Do you have a specific publisher or publishers that you can name? I just don't think I've run into them before based on my interactions with various other Romance authors who are traditionally published. We're all a pretty happy bunch for the most part.

I'd be interested to hear if @BayView has any insight into this, as she is by far the most prolific and successful Romance writer on this forum.

11. Gemima

Gemima New Member

From what I can gather there are increasing opportunities of this nature as more and more of the business happens online rather than via snail mail but it can't hurt for us all to keep our options open either way. How did you/are you going to go about publishing? What genre do you write in? Best of luck either way!

12. Gemima

Gemima New Member

Hi Hyacinthe, I do think it's wise to be cautious and obviously in reality if I was offered a contract, without an agent i would have no idea whether it was typical of the genre and publisher or if there was an element of exploitation there and would certainly have to get some advice before signing up. It does seem that romance writers need to be prolific in their output to maintain their profile and i'm not sure yet if that's me. Advice appreciated

13. Gemima

Gemima New Member

Hi Laurin, wow that's wonderful congratulations! I'm so pleased you didn't have long to wait and have been successful as well as well treated and respected on the journey as you should be. And I totally agree, it's lovely to think you could be touching someone's day in such a nice way. Best wishes to you

Laurin Kelly likes this.
  14. Gemima

Gemima New Member

Hello! I'm very new to the forums and have tried to find your thread without success! Any tips on navigating this place?

15. exweedfarmer

exweedfarmer Banned Contributor

I made a deal with the New York publishing establishment years ago. We agreed that if I would stop sending them manuscripts, they would stop sending me rejection letters. But what I used to do while waiting and hoping and whatever, was to write another novel and see if I could finish it before the letter came. That's probably why I can write so fast now. Good luck!

deadrats, Carriage Return and Gemima like this.
  16. Carriage Return

Carriage Return Member

Gemima likes this.
  17. Carriage Return

Carriage Return Member

18. deadrats

deadrats Contributor Contributor

Love this! I sort of have a similar agreement with The Missouri Review. Well, they are still getting my stuff and rejecting me. It's just a regular thing we do. ;) But it's kind of my goal to write a new story and have it ready to send them each time by the time they reject me. Writing something new allows me to fall in love with a new story even when it's just begun. And a new love is often more captivating than an old love. What we will write is often more important than what we have written, at least I hope so.

19. BayView

BayView Huh. Interesting. Contributor

I'm not sure how a publisher would work an author like a dog... I've never had a publisher pressure me for more books than I thought I could reasonably produce, but I assume if I did think they were asking too much I could just request different contract terms and/or not sign the contract?

I think there are some shady publishers in Romance (as in most other genres) but the larger ones are quite reputable and I know quite a few authors who make good livings writing for them, so...?

Laurin Kelly likes this.
  20. Laurin Kelly

That's kind of what I was picturing, some kind of shady underground Romance mill that just churns out books? I've just never run into anyone who's worked under those conditions before and was wondering if there's a seedy underbelly I'm unaware of.

21. BayView

BayView Huh. Interesting. Contributor

Some of the fly-by-night e-pubs might qualify for that, but even they don't really have any way to work their authors harder than the authors want to work.