1. patchwork

patchwork New Member

Question marks in complex sentence

Discussion in 'Word Mechanics' started by patchwork, Oct 27, 2010.

Hello all,

First post. I was wondering if anybody could help with a particularly tricky sentence, or sentences, that I'm trying to make work.

The main problem I have is where to put commas, full stops and question marks. I hope you can help.

The offending sentence:

“What is the point of being royalty,” the Kings of the neighbouring countries would say, “if you still labour in the soil and muddy yourself?” And they laughed at the King and poured scorn on him and his tiny realm.

I think it's right but I'm not overly sure and would appreciate any hints.

Many thanks,

Chris

2. Melzaar the Almighty

Melzaar the Almighty Contributor Contributor

Yeah, I think that's right.

3. patchwork

patchwork New Member

Cool! Thank you.

4. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

yes, it is!

5. Quin

Quin New Member

Looks right to me. I have the joy of trying to teach this to 10 year olds!

6. Noya Desherbanté

Noya Desherbanté New Member

The question mark looks exactly right to me, and I happen to think it's a particularly elegant and well-flowing way to construct a sentence :) however personally I take issue with the capitalisation on 'the Kings of the neighbouring countries'... I always think that 'king' can be a general noun and doesn't need capitalisation, unless you're using it as a title for a specific person, such as 'King Archibald', or your ridiculed King. I don't know, it just looks a little off to me, I'm probably utterly wrong... or it's a matter of personal preference, in which case, I am in no position to find fault :)

7. digitig

digitig Contributor Contributor

Orpington, Bromley, United Kingdom, United Kingdom
    No, you're not wrong. "King" is not a proper noun there, so it should not be capitalised. The capitalisation of "the King" later on is optional (Fowler describes it as becoming increasingly common) but I wouldn't capitalise it.

8. mammamaia

neither should be capitalized... it's only done now for titles that are accompanied by the titled person's name... such as with 'the king was in his counting house' and 'when King Charles was on the throne' or 'the president was in the Oval Office' and 'President Obama took the oath of office'...

9. digitig

That's true if you're following, for example, the CMS. On the other hand, the British monarchy is not yet convinced. If you check their official website you will find that "The Queen" is consistently capitalised. And I suppose that makes it queen's English. Or perhaps I should say Queen's English.

10. eden baylee

eden baylee New Member

I agree. I just had a story edited where I had the titles of king, queen, lord, prince, and none of them were capitalized unless accompanied by the name.

11. mammamaia

'The Queen' [of england] may be able to enforce such kowtowing on her own website, but she can't impose such a rule on the entire world, or even just the publishing world, where it's not correct...

12. digitig

She can at least influence the UK (and who knows, maybe still bits of the Commonwealth), and in UK usage it's still quite decidedly legitimate.

13. madhoca

madhoca Contributor Contributor

I doubt the Queen herself has anything to do with the website--it's purely the concern of her press secretary! And it is a very long established convention in publishing (at least in the English-speaking world outside the USA) to refer to the monarch with a capital letter, e.g, 'Gentlemen, a toast--the King!'