1. Robert_S

Robert_S Senior Member

Book recommendations

Discussion in 'Discussion of Published Works' started by Robert_S, Jan 7, 2014.

I have $35 remaining on my google play gift cards (got 2 x $25 from bro and his wife). I have a couple books so far ("Ender's Game" and I forget the other).

What I'm looking for is classics in genre, particularly sci-fi and fantasy, however, I'm not against contemporary. I'm reading "One Hundred Years of Solitude" now, but I have a huge collection in my kindle at this time and want to build a good list to keep me for a year or more.

I'm not interested in romance, YA, kids or western.

2. O. Snow

O. Snow New Member

If you like classic fantasy I strongly recommend the following classics:

"The Lord of The Rings" by Tolkien of course.
    "The Eye of the World" by Robert Jordan, it's the first book in the Wheel of Time series.
    "The Dragonbone Chair" by Tad Williams, first book in Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn.
    "The Assassin's Apprentice" by Robin Hobb, first book in the Farseer trilogy (which has somehow expanded well past a trilogy).
    "The Adamantine Palace" by Stephen Deas is really good if you care for Game of Thrones and dragons, it's the first book in A Memory of Flames.
    "The Name of the Wind" by Patrick Rothfuss, it's the first book in the Kingkiller Chronicles and is without a doubt my favorite fantasy book even if it's not a classic just yet.

Hopefully one of those is to your liking!

3. Robert_S

Robert_S Senior Member

Have this in paperback. I've read "The Hobbit" and Fellowship, but not the other two, yet.

Thanks, what about the Conan novels/collections?

4. O. Snow

O. Snow New Member

Honestly I was never able to get into the Conan stories, but give them a shot just in case you like them, a lot of people do after all!

5. Fitzroy Zeph

Fitzroy Zeph Contributor Contributor

Contact by Carl Segan was pretty good. Not exactly fantasy but a darn fine read.

6. Robert_S

Robert_S Senior Member

No, but it definitely qualifies as sci-fi. I'll consider it.

7. Thomas Kitchen

Thomas Kitchen Proofreader in the Making Contributor

I am Legend by Richard Matheson

The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant - possibly my favourite fantasy series. Written after LotR, I think in the 70s, and the very last book ever was written and published this year. It also involves a ring and an almost all-powerful evil, but is very different from LotR, believe me. It really is fantastic, and I can't recommend it enough. At least read the first book and see what you think (although I personally began to enjoy it a lot when reading the second).

The Oz Collection by L. Frank Baum

8. outsider

outsider Contributor Contributor

If sci-fi is your thing then, whilst I haven't read any myself (I know; how can I possibly give a recommendation then) Iain M Banks' science fiction novels are very highly regarded. He created an entire utopian civilisation called 'the culture' and has a series of novels set therein.
    I am a big fan of his 'general' fiction and have read most of his non sci-fi stuff.
    Sadly he died last year; a great loss to the literary world.