1. Ellexx

Ellexx New Member

In Need of Essay Content & Structure Advice

Discussion in 'Word games' started by Ellexx, May 6, 2008.

My essay topic is: "You don't know what you've got until it's gone.".

I have many ideas and need help structuring it. I believe that the above statement is true. I need help organizing my ideas so that I prove that it is true. Which ideas will most strongly support the statement?

Below are my concepts so far:

"You don't know what you've got until it's gone", is a platitude.

My computer crashed last year.

My mother became legally blind when I was 13.

If we don't know what we've got until it's gone, then we don't know what we've been missing until we have it, therefore do we really know what we wanted? Can the last two statements be reversed to to prove the first statement?

The grass is always greener on the other side of the fence, until you discover that it needs to be mowed (or is overgrown with weeds).

Karl Marx searched for a Utopian society

"The grass is always greener..."Candide, Voltaire, and Wilde wrote about this topic

Sacrifices made throughout history,e.g., rationing during "The War".

Gratitude and appreciation

Do you have any other ideas that could prove the statement? It's a short essay; I'd guesstimate the equivalence of both sides of a blue book page.

2. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Your health.

A school which closes, and you suddenly find out how much better they were than the new one you are now bussed to.

A pain in the butt older relative who taught you valuable life lessons before passing away.

3. Ellexx

Ellexx New Member

Hi

Health is a great idea, but, I've never been REALLY sick. How do I use the example to support the claim?

I come from a very small family; just my grandparents and my parents. I always listened to them and always appreciated them. They were all that I had.

Which of my ideas are the best in terms of support? How do I get from proving the statement to a conclusion?

4. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Perhaps this site will be helpful in organizing your essay. However, it would not be appropriate to advise you on the content in any deeper detail, as this is clearly a school assignment.

5. Ellexx

Ellexx New Member

It's not a school assignment. I am an adult. I am voluntarily submitting a writing sample in the hopes of being offered a part time job. The topic was given to me.

My writing skills are rusty. I am seeking the experience of my peers, who may have had the same life experiences that I have had, and may have another perspective.

Any help will be much appreciated.

6. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

if this is just a writing sample for a job app, why worry about structuring it as a formal essay?... what kind of writing will the job entail?... what you want to do is show off your writing skills in that area, not get a good grade for writing a perfectly formatted essay...

i'll be happy to give you a hand with it, if you want to email me and work one-on-one...

love and hugs, maia
    maia3maia@hotmail.com

7. beatrix

beatrix New Member

Hi there! Why don't you write something that interests you the most? In that way you will be able to express yourself fully and support your views stronger. But if you're really given a specific topic for your essay and you have some ideas and just don't know how to construct it, why don't you try to come up for an outline. Create an outline for your ideas. Just write down all possible ideas supported with information / facts that you know. After you' created the outline try to review and focus on it.