1. Taylee91

Taylee91 Carpe Diem Contributor

Guardians of Ga'hoole

Discussion in 'Discussion of Published Works' started by Taylee91, Jan 16, 2011.

Has anyone else read the series by Kathryn Lasky? I read the first book The Capture in a matter of hours, and I was absolutely enthralled by it. I couldn't put it down. And compared to its cinema counterpart, I think the first book is much better.

Anyone want to chime in?

2. lemurkat

lemurkat New Member

I loved the movie, but for the visuals. And I still gon't get it - what was the deal with the flecks? I couldn't understand it in the book and I didn't understand it in the movie... Was it some sort of metal that the mice were eating and the owls were ingesting when they ate the mice (hence the "in the gizzard" comments), that somehow reacted to the stuff the bad owls were producing? PLus the whole bit with the owls marching and the fledglings being enslaved bugged me a bit. I think it was partly because all I could tihnk of was "what are they eating?

There is a good owl series by Martin Hocke, that is well worth checking out. Even if he did have his owls talk about the breeding process in such a way that I wondered if he realised that owls lay eggs.

3. East

East New Member

:--)

4. Taylee91

I didn't quite understand the flecks at first either. But the way I see it, they created some energy source when gathered together, and therefore had seizing capabilities on the owls. But why not on the bats then? They seemed impervious to the power of the flecks.

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll look up Martin Hocke on wiki.

5. Squidget

Squidget New Member

I read it in third grade. I really enjoyed it, but I haven't touched it since. If you liked it, then I read a series even better than it, it was about bats though, I think the books are SunWing, DarkWing, and a few others.

6. zilly

zilly New Member

I was actually just going to make a post about these books. They seem very similar to the type of story I want to work on next.

I was thinking about buying a book from Amazon, but I wanted to see if they were any good before I wasted any time on them. It appears they are, so I'll probably pick up the first one.

It seems like these are written for a younger audience than Harry Potter. Is that correct?

Thanks,

7. hawky94

hawky94 Active Member

Guardians of Ga'hoole is an awesome book series, I only read the first two, but I enjoyed them.

8. Taylee91

^You've got to read the rest! They get so much better. I just recently finished the fourth, and it was riveting. I think Kathryn Lasky is one of the best children's authors alive today. She has inspired me to write for children.

On a side note, Lemurkat, the flecks were assembled so that their magnetic capabilities formed a magnetic field or "The Devil's Triangle" as the owls called it. This is what caused the owls to freeze in the movie. But for some reason, the writers chose to not reveal that bit of info in the movie. It makes so much more sense now.

9. Taylee91

Yes and No. Kathryn Lasky starts out her first book with a very young child in mind. Read the first four pages and you'll see what I mean. But from there, as her whole plot becomes bigger and more intwined, you can see she quickly shifts into the older side of the juvenile spectrum. She uses quite big words. But, I'm not much of a Harry Potter fan, sorry. What age group were those written for?

You should definitely try to get your hands on a few of the Guardians of Ga'Hoole books. Seriously. They were on the New York Times bestselling series list, and rightfully so. They are amazing. From the characterization of the owls, to her dialogue and description, and to the overall concept -- they are flawless. I haven't read from a better children's author.