1. AltonReed

AltonReed Active Member

Need an evil Alien Race

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by AltonReed, Apr 28, 2011.

My story is set on a planet which has been taken over by Aliens, the only problem is, I don't know what they look like! I know all their abilities and plans but not their appearence.

I want to avoid the typical 'Greys' as Aliens very similar to them appeared in Doctor Who recently and this story already has some similarities to that episode. Also due to me being a big fan of Doctor Who, my friends who read it will make the connection almost instantly.

These Aliens need to have an imposing look and be reconsiable from a distance, so say we see an army of them marching across the Dessert, miles away, my characters will need to see them and instantly reconise them. A humanoid shape will be good.

This is a big problem for me as I need these Creatures to begin my story. Any ideas for appearence/names?

2. TWErvin2

TWErvin2 Contributor Contributor

The look would be influenced by the alien's home planet. A cold planet, thicker skin, some sort of insulation (fat/hair/feathers/layer of bubbles between layers of skin--who knows). Higher gravity planet, shorter, thicker limbs, maybe not bipedal. Also remember, what spectrum they would 'see' in, if they even have visual senses.

Of course their 'abilities' would be a factor as well. If they do everything mentally through telekinesis vs. those that are very warlike and physical in their cultural norms, they would be different.

How they reproduce would have a factor--would there be males and females, or some combination? Hermaphroditic? Some animals here on earth, it's nearly impossible to physically tell a male from a female. Others, like birds for example, the coloration, and some animals, like species of turtles--the size.

Use such concerns to guide your creativity.

3. NateSean

NateSean Senior Member

Other question based on the title of your post: Why is the entire race evil?

Do they have values and beliefs that your main protaganist doesn't share? I mean, looking at the aliens from, well, Aliens, you basically had animals. Intelligent, definitely, but just animals. They had no politics or personal reasons for killing the space marines, they were just hungry.

And remember if there is a culture, to your aliens, humans are going to be the evil ones. Like the Covenant of the Halo universe, which was pretty much a bunch of religious zeolots.

4. AltonReed

AltonReed Active Member

These Aliens are Greedy, and saying an Alien Race was a lot easier to say than a group of evil aliens.

These Aliens need power, i.e. energy and also thrive on literaly having power over the people. They Thrive on hate. It's hard to explain in a post, but I'll be sure to describe it in the story.

My friend showed me some pictures of some aliens, and I've got somthing coming together...

5. JimFlagg

JimFlagg New Member

Well an Enemy in not either good or bad they are just an enemy. Why they fight us might be good or bad. War is usually two things. 1, Resources or an Honor someone wants to take. 2, a prejudice against a race creed or religion.

If they are "Thrive on hate." people then I would go with reason 2. Hate breeds prejudice. This good because it may help you with developing their culture and what they wear. As for their physical appearance I guess it would depend on if you are writing a horror. If so you would want to go with Disgusting, Big, Teeth or Spikes, Strong or any other traits that cause us to be scared. Typically you go with what you know which is creatures on Earth (Plant Animal, Insect, Reptilian, Bird, Fish and so on.) You can go with something out there totally different but it is much harder to describe something with out any thing as your basis.

Its your story however so no matter which way you go it will be the right way.

6. Ellipse

Ellipse Contributor Contributor

This does absolutely nothing to physically describe your race. Have you ever played the Wing Commander games? Replace your 'hate' in your description with 'war' and you have the essence of the Kilrathi race. Or keep your 'hate,' make them human, and you have space Nazis.

If you want to figure out what your race looks like, you should start asking yourself questions like are they bigger or smaller than humans? Are they bipedal or do they walk around on 4 or more legs? From what animal did they supposedly evolve from? Is that a reason tehy are more aggressive? WHat is their homeworld like? Culture?

7. AltonReed

AltonReed Active Member

I think I've got a good idea of my Aliens now.

What do people think of the name - The Fatals, or one Fatal?

This isn't the species name, just the name the humans gave to them and they took on, we don't find out the species name.

How does that sound?

8. JimFlagg

JimFlagg New Member

I don't know if using a type of killing as a name is such a good idea. Sounds too contrived. If you have a name for their planet I would use that. Kinda sounds like a rock band to me. You could do word play like reverse it to "Slatafs".

Even sounds alien if not non-english.

9. JimFlagg

JimFlagg New Member

Hey I loved the Kitty Cats. Its a shame what they did to Hobbs in Wing Commander IV.

10. Jones6192

Jones6192 New Member

I think insect aliens are cool. Look at District 9!

11. AltonReed

AltonReed Active Member

The name is meant to sound contrived, because it is! They never reveal their species name, they just adopt the name the humans gave them.

12. JimFlagg

JimFlagg New Member

Don't get mad. If you did not want opinions then why did you ask? It is like I tell every one, you do not need to do what any one says just keep an open mind to criticism. If you like that name then use it nothing is stopping you.

If it is a human made name for an enemy then most of the time humans use physical characteristic like "squidies", play on the original name like "Japs" or by something they are known for like Sauerkraut or "krauts". These would never be an official name given, these would be mockeries. If it is an official name then we usually would use the name we gave their star when it was discovered.

I hope this helps if you don't like it then ignore it.

13. Killer300

Killer300 Senior Member

Well, usually generically evil aliens probably aren't the best ideas, unless they're space Nazis. As for a name, well, think about what they look like, then think of words that mean that. Also, I seriously doubt aliens would take up a slang name usually.