1. leestephens

leestephens New Member

Help introducing new character...please :D

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by leestephens, Apr 12, 2009.

Okie, so my fiance is from Ireland and was telling me stories of irish mythology and legends, therefore inspring me to step away from my usual realistic angsty dramas into a fantasy project. To cut it short, basically my mc ends up leaving everything behind in florida to go to ireland. So family, no friends, nada, and while I have the rest mapped out perfectly in my skull, I'm lacking a way to introduce my girl (A descendent of a fae line who is supposed to be evil but doesnt know it) to the rest of the crew, including a reclusive and eccentric future lover (Who wants her dead at the start of the story) and my villian, a whorish fae beauty.

Yes I know the idea sounds very much done, but I do have a few tricks up my sleeve to tweak my lil fairy tale.

Anyway, any suggestions how I can getr the ball rolling? I'm so bad at the start of a story (Ill always have the rest written before I can put a word down of the first chapter). Oh, and it will be a novel length peice :D
    Thanks all!

2. Tall and Weird

Tall and Weird New Member

She could be getting a tattoo of a Celtic cross in a poorly lit tattoo palour with a hundred suc designs displayed on the walls. The tattoo artiste would be a hulking man that somehow reminds her of a troll. You haven't said much of who the girls is so I'm just assuming 'typical rebellious teenager'.

Otherwise it might depend on whether or not she has some fae-ish abilities, she could start happy and comfortable in some mundune situation related to her later fae-ishness. You know, if she has abilities related to animals, she could be riding at the start or feeding local strays or working for the RSPCA protecting any animals that need help. (RSPCA is the Royal Society for the Protection and Conservation of Animals which is Australian. Just substitute your local animal friends. :p) If her fae-ness relates to plants, she could start in her garden or in a park.

Of course, if she hasn't inherited any abilities, perhaps she could start in a situation similar to one her ancestors once faced.

I just read back through that and I've noticed that I keep trying to link her present with her future. I don't know why. :p

Hope this gives you some ideas.

3. leestephens

leestephens New Member

Well, its hard to explain without getting really in depth, the whole novel is filled with her discovering herself. Basiclly though she's an unaware little barbie, raised with privilige, stunningly gorgeous due to her fae ancestry. She's a type of fae similar to a siren, beautiful, alluring, dangerous, and meant to kill men. Its a "spin off" type thing from the legend of the dearg due. She goes to ireland to find out about her heritage after she inherits an estate there, and so mayhem ensues. I'm struggling with an original and intriguing way for her to meet the hero whos reclusive and the villan who is one of the few remaining of her type. Shes raised to be a socialite but circumstances led her to be a bit quiet and unsure...
    Yes I know I'm making it difficult on myself

4. Kursal

Kursal New Member

I don't think there is quite enough information in there to give you a definitive answer. Of course, you should be writing it yourself. Tell me, what does the audience need to know about your character before the story really starts?

Also, the hero could either save the heroine from something (establishing his role, as in Twilight) or be discovered by said heroine but want nothing to do with her (Causing her to become more intrigued with him, as in Twilight... who said that book's full of cliche?).

It appears that the villain needs to be introduced within some sort of mutual meeting place, like a school. I suppose, being Ireland, a local pub might be a good setting. In smaller villages they are often at the center of the community. How about having her as a barmaid? Oh, possibly you could have her as something to do with the church, thus juxtaposing her evil side and allowing you to hide her from the audience for as long as possible.

5. WrongWriter

WrongWriter Banned

One of the best (and very few) pieces of decent writing advice I ever heard was, "Switch your first two chapters".

Obviously that's a sort of metaphor (though it's surprising how often it works literally--or first two paragraphs, etc) it shows a light unto your feet: cut straight in, then fill back to it later.

There is no need (and lots of hazards) in starting things out with a full name and a description of whatever unusual hair and eye color the character has.

And a lot of good reasons to start with a nameless woman running naked across the moors pursued by wolfhounds. Trust me, people will stick around for an explanation.

If you're going to Ireland, start in Ireland. And try to start in interesting circumstances.

Same goes for any given chapter, by the way. Cut right into to the meat at the start and cut right away from it at the end.
    Ever fret at made for TV movies where you see a car pull up, and a door slam and guy walk up the drive and knock at the door and...?
    When what you want to see is a woman tossing a cup of coffee at the guy inside and screaming, "Why are you telling me this?"