Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aerodoc

aerodoc New Member

Self Publishing Software - Technical Writing

Discussion in 'Writing Software and Hardware' started by aerodoc, Nov 19, 2010.

For the time being, I am looking to self publish, but that could change later.

Assuming I do self publish, I want to the best software available. One catch is that is an engineering textbook and I need equations. Based on this, I *think* the best options would be:

- Framemaker
    - Quark + MathMagic (for equations)
    - InDesign + MathMagic

Am I on the right track? I am very green to the software aspect, but I do understand what it is going to take and am prepared to self publish.

2. Michael Daaboul

Michael Daaboul New Member

Are you going to print and bind the book yourself? If so, you can go with any option. See which program you're fluent in and MathMagic is a good program for equations. It does the job well.

If you're not going to print the book, you might want to check on the printing company's requirements first before you setup up anything using a program. Best to get specs before anything else.

However, if you're purely doing everything, then you have the right programs in mind.

You might want to trash Quark. InDesign is better and is industry standard.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.