1. aimi_aiko

aimi_aiko New Member

Favorite Subject to Write About?

Discussion in 'Setting Development' started by aimi_aiko, Apr 13, 2011.

Mine happens to be the end of the world only because I highly enjoy this topic. It's quite fascinating to me. I love movies and stories about this.

What are your favorite subjects to write about regarding your pieces?

2. Still Life

Still Life Active Member

Family relationships, for me. Nothing outrageous. I just believe that even the most ordinary family life may not always be what they seem, so I get this itch to peel back the layers and expose everything.

3. Elgaisma

Elgaisma Contributor Contributor

Gay men that have trouble keeping their hands off each other lol My talent is in writing banter and dialogue I think but I enjoy lots of different things. Basically I love writing books with humour and darkness together.

4. DeNile

DeNile New Member

My favorite thing to write is descriptions, I love writing about fantasy worlds and the descriptions just come naturally to me. I also love writing banter and not-heroes. Like, characters that are working towards their own gain, like trying to save themselves, but end up doing something greater. I find the 'chosen one' thing overdone, same with these nice, ready to help heroes, everyone is a little selfish, I like to play on that. Mostly. I also love writing races beyond the humans, coming up with their curse words is fun. :D

Gay men are also great fun. I have a gay person in every one of my stories. Sometimes more!

5. dizzyspell

dizzyspell Active Member

I love setting new rules for myself, like, having a world the same as ours, with 'real' people, and then changing only one thing, but it's a big thing.

I also love writing from a child's POV. In all my recent short stories there have been children and ghosts, though only one of them is actually 'creepy'. I find writing from their viewpoint is similar to the 'changing one drastic thing about the world' thing I like to do, as kids tend to have such an engagingly different perspective on things.

6. Faust

Faust Active Member

Fantasy and Mystery are for me. I enjoy dark stories with a fantastical twist. But I also love a good humorous story every now and then. If only I can find a balance between the three...

7. Tesoro

Tesoro Contributor Contributor

human relationships and love.

8. Yoshiko

Yoshiko Contributor Contributor

Bi/homo/aexuality, polyagamous relationships and multiple aspects of the sex and entertainment industries.

9. barnz

barnz New Member

I'm still in the process of figuring out my true genre of choice, but I love horror, scifi, and fantasy. When I write, I tend to write Post-apocolyptic fantasy with horror elements. That's a mouthful eh?

10. Ophiucha

Ophiucha New Member

Cooking.

11. Daggers

Daggers New Member

I like to create interesting characters. I love heroes in stories, but they need to have issues. One thing I want to explore more is the fall of a hero and how they are corrupted. Equally I like there to be a villain in the story, but not necessarily a bad guy. A villain who does terrible things but whose ultimate goal is good has always interested me.

Actually the character that sparked my interest in this idea doesn't come from a book or even a film but a video game.

12. Tesoro

my current novel is a kind of romantic suspence but I think the focus is more on the suspence than romance. there are murders and death threats but its not a thriller in the classical sense. it's from the pov of the MC's, not some old dusty police officer. People often prefer to write the genre they like to read, at least that is my theory.

13. spklvr

spklvr Contributor Contributor

Monsters!!!

But really, I write everything from chick-lit to horror. It's hard for me to pick a genre.

14. girlwithoneeye

girlwithoneeye New Member

There are only two major themes from which all the other ones are derived from-love and death. my highschool teacher said that and i kinda agree with her even more now that i started writing;)yes, it sounds morbid and freudian when i think about it, but there's not much to write about (excluding that) from my point of view. i also love characterization and i always try to create a completely unique persona, whether it's a fireman, a serial killer or a housewife.

15. Cthulhu

Cthulhu New Member

I like writing the interplay of extreme personalities, with action coming in second.

[BTW Great thread idea, I've never thought about this before]

16. cybrxkhan

cybrxkhan New Member

Character interactions. Character development. That kind of stuff. Especially between a male-female pairing who are close but can still bounce off each other. So sort of like spousal banter without the silly crap.

17. Taylee91

Taylee91 Carpe Diem Contributor

Lately it's been family relationships and the drama sometimes associated with them.

18. KillianRussell

KillianRussell New Member

mine a tie between Elvis and Vampires with Taylees answer a close third

19. Tesoro

I already knew that! :D (About Elvis and the vampires, hahaha. Woah, that would be a nice title for a Childrens/YA-book, haha, "Elvis and the vampires" ;) )

20. madhoca

madhoca Contributor Contributor

The other day I was slightly horrified to realise that everything I write concerns people who are searching for identity and/or feeling they have no home... Legacy of an army childhood and multi-national background, I guess...

21. Boriol

Boriol New Member

I like writing about people facing difficult/impossible enemies and actually not being able to beat them for once (I'm looking at you, Dragonball Z, Tenjo Tenge; "We can't beat that guy, his power level is too high! Oh, we just did." *Repeat*).

Interesting villains are a must. My current villain is a 10-year-old girl who's decapitated, bisectioned, and burned four people so far and laughed while doing so.

22. bob smith

bob smith New Member

I like writing about old men in suits drinking whiskey and scotch talking and smoking cigars while they discuss national war strategy or how to suppress communist minorities.

O yea.

23. MidnightPhoenix

MidnightPhoenix New Member

I like to write about the supernatural and the end of the world. How the character would deal in these situation.
    villains, I love write about them. I have a villain that love to experiment with her victims, and kills for the fun of it.

24. Rowley

Rowley New Member

I enjoy writing Dark Fantasy, the topic of the story changes based on, normally, what's going on in my life (as far as Short Stories go). Right now, for instance, a lot of topics in stories I've been writing has been "tolerance" as that's been something of an issue in my everyday life. In the past, I would do more romance-y things (although all that sucked), and I've also done stories where the character feels rather... stuck, because of X event, and such. I basically write what I want to talk about, really.