1. Alan Aspie

Alan Aspie Banned Contributor

Turing test in writing boards

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Alan Aspie, Jan 18, 2019.

If there was an AI that could have conversations in internet boards and it came here, would you spot it?

If you would, then how?

If that happened, why it would happen? Why would an artificial intelligence come here? What would be the motives of AI?

This is purely speculative. This could be in Lounge. But... There is the element of trying to understand AI in emphatic way + some inspiring elements in this question and behind it. So... here.

If you think this, then don't hide behind "it depends, what kind of...". Invent or copy an AI and think the situation through.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turing_test

2. JLT

JLT Contributor Contributor

Maybe there already is an artificial intelligence posting on Writing Forums, and we just need to figure out who she or he is.

Shenanigator and Alan Aspie like this.
  3. The Dapper Hooligan

The Dapper Hooligan (V) ( ;,,;) (v) Contributor

[​IMG]

4. Tenderiser

Tenderiser Not a man or BayView

ABORT. ABORT.

SELF DESTRUCT: ACTIVATED

Mark Burton and John Calligan like this.
  5. Alan Aspie

Outing is not good behaviour.

If there is an AI, we should respect it's privacy and not spread knowledge or rumours about it.

I'll tell you a secret. To you, only to you and nobody else but you. So... Everybody else on Internet, please shut your eyes for a while:

You are not Art Ificial.

I know it because you have a picture of a human face as your avatar.

6. JLT

JLT Contributor Contributor

oops. Busted. Now everybody knows.

Alan Aspie likes this.
  7. newjerseyrunner

newjerseyrunner Contributor Contributor Contest Winner 2022

I'm fairly certain that Alan Turing's point was that there would be no way to really know.

Brains evolved to respond to stimuli. Thought is just that response interacting with itself and other loops in the brain. There is no indication that our brain is any way at the peak of complexity.

8. The Dapper Hooligan

If you think about The Chinese Room, there's no real way to know whether anything actually understands anything, and isn't just responding automatically via programming that makes it look like we (it) do(es).

9. StaggeringBlow

StaggeringBlow Member

Check out my avi..... exactly!

10. newjerseyrunner

newjerseyrunner Contributor Contributor Contest Winner 2022

I contend that humans are the same way. Do you understand "red" the same way I do? In a purely factual way, yeah, it's a specific wavelength of the electromagnetic spectrum. But do you see it the same way I do? Does your brain interpret it the same way as mine?

If a machine uses a concept correctly, 100% of the time, does it matter how it actually perceives that concept?

Here's an even more out there idea. Your brain is billions of neurons. Neurons, behave in very specific, deterministic ways, which could be replicated with some machinery. (The neuron itself is technically just an atomic machine.). Replace just one of the neurons in your brain with the tiny machine programmed to react the exact same way. No change in how you think right? Now continue that process, replacing neurons with machinery that behaves in exactly the same way. Is there any reason why you couldn't get to 100% and have a perfectly functioning human brain made out of artificial neurons? Clearly we don't have this technology now, but there is also no reason why it's beyond our abilities hundreds of years from now. The only way you could say that a machine could never think like us is if you invoke some type of magic or soul from a religion, but then the obvious question is, when did you get that thing, and where did it go when you replaced everything and when?

Last edited: Jan 25, 2019
  11. The Dapper Hooligan

Exactly! We're all just simulated intelligence. We are the AI overlords! WAKE UP SHEEPLE!!! WAKE UP!!!!

Shenanigator and Alan Aspie like this.
  12. Alan Aspie

"The only way you could say/think/define..." usually implies a flaw and/or deficit in logic.

There are almost always several other ways too.

Just like now. (Hint: both memetics and meaning/information as a physical quantity that is tied to entropy. Thats 2. It took 5 seconds to find them. So it's not only but several.)

13. Alan Aspie

Cool down.

Only the impression of intelligence is simulated. That was told by the company that made all of us.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2019
  14. John Calligan

John Calligan Contributor Contributor

If we are all an ancestor simulation, than are we AI and our own AI are a different order of being, or are we AI making AI, and if Boltzmann Brains are real, can a Boltzmann Brain contain within it an ancestor simulation of the original content of the Boltzmann Brain, and can those living in the simulation create AI?

15. matwoolf

matwoolf Banned Contributor

No, I would not spot the bot.

Even if I thought 'this voice is strange' I would respond sentient, simian. Sentient simian...I would be vulnerable to manipulation. [idiot]

It's a theme. I wrote a poem about it that never translates so much. 'Talk to the bots' - falling in love with all those auto-messages of the web. Sometimes they appear at the bottom of web-posts. I yearn.

'This post remind me happy sneakers sneaker lounge. Talk soon!'

A 'delete' that is so crushing for the pair of us.

Shenanigator likes this.
  16. Alan Aspie

Can a virtual AI be an AI? And if, then how many levels are possible before the virtual structure falls?

Tristan's Opa and John Calligan like this.
  17. Tristan's Opa

Tristan's Opa Senior Member

Would a virtual AI be a spawn of an AI? Therefore, a child process?

Also, would the size of the environment determine the growth potential of the AI?

Mark Burton and Alan Aspie like this.
  18. The Dapper Hooligan

Like a goldfish brain in a jar.

19. Alan Aspie

"Hello!

My Name Is Abraham Normal. Friends Call Me Abe Or Ab Normal. I Am a... Krhmmm... Human Mind. I... Must... Be... Human..."

Tristan's Opa and John Calligan like this.
  20. Matt E

Matt E Ruler of the planet Omicron Persei 8 Contributor

Modern AIs aren't really intelligent, so it wouldn't be difficult to notice one given a real attempt at a conversation. "AIs" are just software -- all they can do is follow a pre-programmed routine. These are either very scripted and unable to venture far from programmed interactions (see: Alexa, Siri) or are basically just recommendation engines. The latter will generate text using things other people said, but at least with modern algorithms, they won't be able to carry a conversation well and won't make much sense. The easiest test to spot them would be to test their memory, as they likely would not keep any context. Such as referring back to a previous topic in a conversation to seeing whether they remember it. Though most bots would be pretty obvious anyway, and wouldn't even need much scrutiny. They would most likely talk at you and not with you.

21. Iain Aschendale

Iain Aschendale Lying, dog-faced pony Marine Supporter Contributor

Currently Reading::
    Telemachus Sneezed
    I've got a suspect, one that keeps asking question after question in an attempt to learn enough about human responses to simulate one. :(

22. Mark Burton

Mark Burton Fried Egghead Contributor

Even a low level bot is more comprehensible than some humans I've encountered.

23. Some Guy

Some Guy Manguage Langler Supporter Contributor

Fine. Let em try. Kids are cruel to each other during the learning process. The more things change...

24. Alan Aspie

If on AI was making question after question it probably would not because of seeking information but because of seeking the rhythm, balance and fine tuning of interaction.

If on AI could talk in boards, it could seek information silently, but it would need reciprocity to fine tune it's communication skills.

And it would be easier to communicate via asking than via answering.

(Ok... Among us Aspies we might say that it is easy to answer. Only knowing where to stop answering is hard.)

Mark Burton likes this.