1. cutecat22

cutecat22 The Strange One Contributor

I have a question about Drugs. :-/

Discussion in 'Research' started by cutecat22, May 12, 2014.

Hi Everyone.

Bit of a sticky subject this and I'm not sure where to turn.

The next book I'm planning - or rather, plotting at the moment - will feature recreational drug use. The trouble is, I've never used drugs and would like to accurately portray the effect of them on my character.

I have heard urban myths (my favourite is the one where the lady giving the bl** j** puts the drugs in her mouth before commencing with fellatio) but I just don't know if it's actually true!

So, where would I go to find out this information or should I just look up the known effects of various drugs and then use my imagination?

2. Ulramar

Ulramar Contributor Contributor

Sadly there's a lot of propaganda against drug use on the internet (Colorado police chief claimed like 40 lives taken by Marijuana when Marijuana can't kill). Put on a proxy and dive into the drug forums. I'm sure there are plenty of those.

3. Jack Asher

Jack Asher Banned Contributor

I don't know which "drugs" that would be, but it's definitely an urban legend.

cutecat22 likes this.
  4. Jack Asher

Well a search for "drug forum" turned this up. That's www.drugs-forum.com.

I don't know why you would need a proxy to research drugs, there's nothing illegal about that.

cutecat22 likes this.
  5. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

Your imagination and the medical terminology of a drug's effects are only going to go so far. The high you get off of weed is completely unlike being drunk on alcohol, and rolling (ecstasy) is utterly unlike either of the two aforementioned.

And there are so many variables. Is it your first time smoking weed or are you a functional pot-head? Two totally different things. Is the roll a dirty roll or a clean roll. Two very different experiences.

This may be a myth, but plugging a roll (colon rolling) is not. I know because I know. ;) Ah... university days. :rolleyes:

cutecat22 likes this.
  6. Ulramar

I use proxys for any research. I'm also kinda paranoid so for anything that's not blatantly legal (drugs, for example) and anything about them, I don a proxy.

cutecat22 likes this.
  7. cutecat22

I would think anything in powder form. I know the quickest way to get drugs into your system (other than by needle) is under your tongue. I know this as my husband suffered a heart attack and was given a GTN spray to spray under his tongue at the onset of any further attacks before surgery (something to do with lots of blood vessels close to the surface in one place) so if you think about it, the urban myth 'could' work ...
    A ex-work colleague of mine said she'd tried it with popping candy :eek: but I don't actually believe her.

8. cutecat22

Could you please elaborate on this or am I right in thinking it goes up the Khyber pass?

9. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

It goes up the Khyber pass, sweetie. Yep. LOL :)

cutecat22 likes this.
  10. Jack Asher

The drugs you take orally, like LSD or MDMA can't be absorbed through penis tissue. I'm sure you could do it, but it wouldn't enhance the blow job in any way.

Similarly with cocaine, which can be absorbed (though very lightly) through the skin, but it tastes like ear wax and makes your mouth burn very unpleasantly.

11. cutecat22

Thanks for clarification. Wincing as I type!

12. cutecat22

Thanks for the link - I will check that out!

13. Ulramar

I don't think that's a good site. It's just "drugs". Try "illegal drugs" or something. There's no fun in penicillin, and that's the kind of stuff that's probably gonna be on that forum.

14. cutecat22

Had a read through there t&c's and I may get the answers I'm looking for so will give it a go.

15. Ulramar

Oh awesome. I wasn't digging in, glad you found one that helps.

cutecat22 likes this.
  16. cutecat22

Besides, the FBI already have me on file as they helped me out with some research last year so I don't want to go anywhere too unscrupulous! *gulp*

17. Ulramar

Proxy it and it'll look like some guy in Europe is doing the search.

18. cutecat22

Hope I don't sound too thick (just not tech savvy) but what do you mean by 'proxy it' ?

19. Ulramar

Cloak your IP address. Pretty much, if you're doing something you're not supposed to do or you don't want anyone else on your computer to see it, you use a proxy. I don't think we can post a link to sites here, but a simple "proxy" google search can get you started.

I don't know if you've ever used Incognito Mode in Google Chrome, but it's similar to that. Except that IM isn't as protective and if you're being watched you'll still be seen. You use the same IP address and all it does is not collect cookies. With a proxy, you cannot be tracked because you're simply not using the IP address that is being tracked. You're using someone else's.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong please.

20. KaTrian

KaTrian A foolish little beast. Contributor

The drugs featured in the novel may also depend on the area where it takes place (i.e. the availability of drugs), and also what's trendy at the time. There's also the possibility of not getting what you paid for, which might lead to interesting results. Google is your friend here when you look for personal accounts.

There're also people who don't get the high from some drugs, like opioids. That might be pretty funny for the reader and frustrating for the character. As for weed, it also seems to have different effects on different people, and the type of weed matters a lot too (indica or sativa, for example), plus all the different strains.

T and I wrote one story with recreational drug use, and since neither of us has tried peyote, we had to research it quite a bit. There's a lot of info on the internet, you just need a critical eye. Compare the personal stories with the scientific data about the drug and that might help you determine how possible some effects really are.

Blowing a guy with some intoxicating substance in your mouth doesn't sound all that beneficial to the guy, apart from the obvious pleasure, like how well would it really absorb through the skin? I guess slamming a fentanyl patch on it would work better :D Apparently some idiots over here actually swallow fentanyl patches... and then die.

cutecat22 likes this.
  21. sunsplash

sunsplash Bona fide beach bum

Between the Magic City & the Conch Republic
    Believe her...it makes the "job" much more enjoyable for the one doing all the work ;)

22. cutecat22

@sunsplash :eek: :-D

sunsplash likes this.
  23. cutecat22

Thanks for the info!

24. sylvertech

sylvertech Active Member

Erowid is a bountiful resource.
    Don't be discouraged by the black background: it hass layers upon layers of information, both scientific and anecdotal.

25. cutecat22

Thanks for that! Will go and have a wander around the site.
    x